im discouraged...

Options
For most of my high school life ive been under 150, i'm 5'8. I held off the freshman 15 until the last month or so, even losing weight and being at 143 at one point. The last month, I somehow gained close to 20lbs even though my diet and exercise was the same. I've been eating healthy all summer (since mid may) and I started doing Insanity and p90x but I've only been able to drop 3 lbs. My body is holding on to my weight, is there anything I can do to finally get into the 150s, I'm at 167 :(

Replies

• pmaglio
    pmaglio Posts: 3
    Options
    See your Dr. Unexplained weight gain can be related to a medical issue, or even stress.
  • Stepmom1
    Stepmom1 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I did Insanity and P90X as well.

Have you been writing everything you eat down? Keeping a food diary was very successful for me in knowing what I was eating too much or too little off. When you have it on paper, you will be amazed as to how much you are actually eating. Sometimes we eat too much and sometimes not enough.

Stepmom1
    Coach
  • Crysta1976
    Crysta1976 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    You could also be gaining massive amounts of muscle with those workouts....
  • cherylpoitevent
    cherylpoitevent Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Being a survior of college... twice (BA and MS)! I understand how you feel. The first year I was there my weight fell almost 20 lbs, but then it decided to creep back on a little at a time.

Here are a few tips that might help you through both physically and mentally....

1. Get PLENTY of rest! Your body needs it to recover and stay healthy.
    2. Find a place where you can go and RELAX -- Stress is a HUGE contributor to weight gain... trust me I've been there and done that one.
    3. Find a workout/fitness buddy... I promise it will help. College is all about having fun and being out on your own for the "first time" -- Enjoy it -- but remember to stay focused on your health. -- Have fun, but stay within reason.
    4. Get involved -- Find a activity you can enjoy while in school -- get up out of your apartment/dorm room and get moving. You will truly enjoy college if you do.
    5. SPLURGE -- Take one day a week to just splurge -- whether it be a pedicure, ice cream cone or even a night out with friends... take one day and just indulge -- it will give you something to look forward to.
    6. Water -- Drink lots of it, it helps to cleanse the body of unnatural elements that can effect your weight.

and finally....
    6. STAY TRUE TO YOURSELF -- Don't let minor setbacks sabatoge you. Weight loss is a process and a lifelong journey. Stay focused on your life goals and don't worry about minor ups and downs. You WILL be successful... ;D
  • GRose
    GRose Posts: 69
    Options
    Great points Cheryl! If only I would have had you as a motivator throughout my school years.

Thanks for the reminder and the motivation.

Congrats on your achievements!!
  • cherylpoitevent
    cherylpoitevent Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks GRose! :) Lots of research and self acceptance :) -- That's how I got to where I am today... :D
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    If you're doing Insanity and P90X, you're most likely not eating enough. You should be at least eating 1400 calories per day and eating most of your exercise calories back. Also, you'll need lots of protein. You should be at 30% and try to eat as much of that as you can...drink/eat protein shakes if you have to!
  • bhelmreich
    bhelmreich Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely not eating enough. I've been writing what I eat and I barely hit 1200 calories even with working out. Its hard to eat that much. so maybe my body is in starvation mode?