I gained 3 pounds on holiday

Options
Not sure how. I finally got down to my goal weight after 2 years, to go on holiday for a week and gain those pesky pounds back. I have no idea how as I ate whole foods only and didn't go overboard. I also did a tonne of walking daily burning 800 calories a day for a week (steady state cardio measured by a hrm).

I've gone back to eating how I did before the holiday, counting calories and tracking macros but I'm feeling seriously down about it now.

Someone please say something reassuring

Replies

• BrookeRunningMom
    BrookeRunningMom Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    It's probably just water weight or to much sodium maybe ? Relax don't stress, I fined when I don't drink enough water I gain weight and get bloated, maybe your body is asking for more water. Either way don't worry to much. Just stay positive do what your doing
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I'd be over the moon to only gain 3lbs after a holiday. Mind you I really blow out when I'm away.

Flights tend to make you hold water weight for a few days.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Sounds like water.

Also if you are at your goal weight then your weight will fluctuate up to 5lbs or so.. this is normal. Also, I wouldn't put too much focus on the scale at this point... go by how you look and feel.

Now that you are home and back to your normal routine you will be fine. Hope you had fun. When I go on vacation I eat and drink all the things, I come back a bit heavier but I look soooo much more amazing.. so ya.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I had Korean BBQ for lunch. I bet I gained 3lbs in the last hour.

• amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I bet you consumed more sodium eating out and have water retention. Weigh again in a few days.
  • nightengale7
    nightengale7 Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone above, likely mostly water retention and bloating. You should be back to normal in a week or so.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Only 3 lb? I'd consider that a win.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Stress of getting ready for vacation, travel for vacation, eating potentially salty food, travel back home, stress after getting home and having a billion things to do. How long ago did you get back? It's quite possible it wasn't from food, and you should see it dwindle down.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I don't think I have ever gained less than 10lbs on vacation, so that is pretty awesome! It you took a plane, it could be as simple as the plane ride home causing water retention. But in the 2 years it has taken you to lose your weight, has it really come off consistently every week without fluctuations? This shouldn't be any different.
  • lindymacl
    lindymacl Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Did you enjoy your holiday? That's actually the important thing.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I can gain 3 lbs in one day! Probably all water weight. Eat at a slight deficit and it'll come right off. Most people in maintenance have a maintenance range of 5 lbs or so. I've been in maintenance for a year and I frequently go over my range a little bit but it is easy to get back on track. You know what to do!
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    On Sunday I drove home from a 5 day trip to Key West. 7 hour drive. Ate well but didn't log; didn't drink too much. Walked everywhere. Did not drink enough water. Gained pounds.

On Monday I weighed 215.9
    Friday, this morning I weighed 211.6

Do what you normally do and give your self a few days.

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Only 3 lb? I'd consider that a win.

My thought, too.

OP, I flew a couple of weeks ago for a work conference and gained seven pounds, just from flying.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining for 3 years and every holiday period or vacation I gain around 5 pounds. I just limit my calories a little bit for a while and down the weight comes. I consider it well worth it.
  • halimaiqbal00
    halimaiqbal00 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies.

Yes, it was a 4 hour flight and I was away for 7 days. Hey ho, I'll weigh again in a week and see how I fare then. I guess I was expecting a loss with all the exercise and healthy food options I was making but I'm guessing it's sodium and bloat too after reading your replies!

Thanks again x
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Thanks for your replies.

Yes, it was a 4 hour flight and I was away for 7 days. Hey ho, I'll weigh again in a week and see how I fare then. I guess I was expecting a loss with all the exercise and healthy food options I was making but I'm guessing it's sodium and bloat too after reading your replies!

Thanks again x

Airplane bloat is actually huge...I put on about 5-8 Lbs every time I fly.