getting really frustrated

Options
Like most people on here, being overweight and eventually obese is a concern and battle I have been struggling with for years, usually resulting with small periods of success and then backslide +10 lbs. In the past 4 years I have gained 40 lbs.

I recently relocated back to Charleston SC to work my dream job within my old company. A bunch of people I worked with before haven't even recognized me because I have gotten so big. "Looks like marriage agrees with you!" When I moved here, I drastically cut down my working hours from 60 to 40, and with that made a promise to myself that I would establish a new routine and lose a significant amount of weight. June 10th we moved into our house and the very same day we started Cross Fit Boot Camp. I weighed in at 197. I was 5 days into my new job.

When I started Crossfit I was definitely out of shape. I couldn't hang on the pull up bar for even 3 seconds and I couldn't run 400m without feeling 100% exerted. The first week I started I also started a low carb diet, and I dropped 6 pounds in the first 8 days. But that second week, I just couldn't power through the workout (ie, could barely do 10 step ups on the box in 60 seconds), and I knew it was because I hadn't had any carbs. So I added back some limited carbs- a reduced-sugar latte in the morning to get me started, and a banana after work 90 mins before Crossfit. At that point I decided to start logging my calories to try to track where I was during the day.

I stopped losing weight around that point, which was 5 weeks ago, and although I feel more "toned" I haven't dropped any clothing sizes. After 6 weeks of boot camp, I can run probably 150% farther than I could before (without stopping), I can hang on the bar for 10 seconds at a time and do hanging crunches. I can do a burpee properly. All of my tabata (basically, timed calisthenic) scores went up from 10-130%.

While all of that stuff is great, the weight stayed the same. I started thinking that this was due to alcohol and have cut back dramatically on my wine intake (and I do love a good glass of wine). On my day off yesterday between boot camp and real cross fit went to Body Pump, which was a whole different type of workout and I am pretty sore!

So, I've been calorie and generally carb restricting (netting around 1400/day), I've been working out intensely 3-4x/week with varied workouts, I've been increasing my water intake (I hate drinking it except after working out). And no weight loss. I have to fight tooth and nail to see a 190 on the scale, most days it's 192.

I don't know what else to do.

I don't want to take phentermine because I already have occasional panic attacks and phentermine, although it will kill my appetite, makes me unbearably anxious. Besides that, as soon as you stop the phentermine you gain it all back.

I'm thinking about asking to go on diabetic medications that induce weight loss like Victoza or metformin.

If I don't see significant weight loss this year I just want to go ahead and get POSE surgery and hopefully lose the 40 lbs I've gained. At this point I would even be thrilled to be 160 or 170 pounds.

Advice appreciated, but if I hear on more person say "well you know muscle weighs more than fat" I will scream. I don't weigh 190 pounds of muscle.

Replies

• bhavnoor
    bhavnoor Posts: 36
    Options
    You've lost ~7 lbs, which is a great start. Don't give up... just keep at it and I'm sure you will start seeing results soon. Can you get someone (friends/spouse) to join you in your workouts? That will be a big help.

Also, review your food diary - or have someone review it and make suggestions. I would offer to do it, but I'm myself new to MFP (I joined a while ago, but haven't been maintaining my food diary consistently). Feel free to add me as a friend and we can keep each other honest and motivated.