What's the point of macros?

2»

Replies

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,996 Member
    I believe that macros matter and that a high protein diet is good for both muscular development and weight loss.

A goal of 40P/40C/20F (34/39/27 actual) has worked for me for the past 10 months, during which I lost 38# (196 down to 158) and reduced my BF from over 25% down to 10.1% (as just measured hydrostatically).

I have been in "maintenance" for the past 4 months and am using the same macros with a 1900 cal/day limit and have maintained my weight eating around 160g protein (or 1g/lb body weight) a day.

So, I don't think there's anything "wrong" with a high protein diet whether you're trying to lose weight, build lean body mass or just in maintenance. I works just the same. At least it has for me.
  • ChelzFit
    ChelzFit Posts: 292 Member
    I never really paid attention to macros until I started feeling lousy after my workouts and felt I was getting an adequate amount of calories. I looked into my macros and realized that I was eating a very high protein diet (200 grams a day) and lacking in carbs. I was focused more on cardio at the time so I increased my carbs/decreased my protein and kept my cals the same and felt much more energized. I learned that carbs are not the enemy. For so long I had this fear that just carbs alone would make me fat. I am a much happier person now that I know that is not true :smile: