Recommendations for trainers for walking/jogging

Options
I walk a fairly long way to work and have been walking a lot further when I can. I always do 12,000 steps a day and frequently it's closer to 16,000. It's my only form of definite daily exercise so it's really important to me to get as many steps in as possible.

I don't have any trainers that fit me (my feet expanded to a UK 7 when I was pregnant and never went back to a 6...) and I'm wearing Dc Martens to do all this walking in, leaving me with very tired feet at the end of the day.

Looking for recommendations for a shoe I can wear day to day! There are so many out there and I just don't know what to buy, and I don't want to spend money on something that isn't going to work for me.

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    If your UK most Sports direct now have a machine you stand on and it scans your feet and gives you recommendations of ones to try on.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Go to a speciality store and try on different shoes - what works for one person might not work for your feet...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Go to a running shop and ask for gait analysis for running shoes.

I would recommend sketchers for walking. Don't walk in running shoes.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Skechers are great for all day comfort walking shoes. They do a wide variety and I know places like Brantano have them on offer frequently.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    Skechers are great for all day comfort walking shoes. They do a wide variety and I know places like Brantano have them on offer frequently.

Brantano has gone into administration

I wear sketchers alot, amazon and sports direct online often have previous seasons on offer

Wynsors world of shoes do them too
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    I used to wear nike zoom structures for jogging/running. Since having my son my feet now hate them so back to the shops i go
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,694 Member
    Options
    Everyone's foot is different, so you really can't rely on what other people wear to find something that is comfortable for you. Volume, pronation/supination, weight, etc. will all make a difference. What fits my duck feet probably wouldn't work for you (unless you also have neutral very wide feet). And then there's preference. I like shoes that are super cushioned, you may prefer something that is lighter.

Go to a specialty store and spend some time trying on and walking and running in various shoes.
  • PaBeany
    PaBeany Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I went for sketchers in the end with memory foam and they've been great!