Protein Bars and Shakes?

Options
I'm trying to find one with the most protein for the least calories. I started drinking the Muscle Milk and eating the Quest Bars... Those seem to have the most protein for least calories so far but I'm wondering if there are better ones? I only started getting them 3 days ago so the whole protein bar/shake is new to me

Replies

• aalhasan
    aalhasan Posts: 104
    Options
    You can find "Fibre 1" in Walmart. It's not meant to be a protein bar, but this 140 calories bar has 7 grams of fibre, 6 grams of protein, 18g carbs. It comes in great flavours like peanut butter too!
  • Tony_Brewski
    Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    There's so many to choose from out there. I started with Six Star and then went to Muscle Milk. I know prefer GNC brand ... less stomach irritation then with MM or SS. There's also companies like Herbal LIfe.
  • SteveStedge1
    SteveStedge1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese. Much closer to food than protein bars. (probably) the most protein per calorie you can get.
  • Alphastate
    Alphastate Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    You're going to get more protein in less calories with a 100% whey protein isolate. If you compare the grams of each serving to the grams of protein in each serving, you can see the difference from a Wal-Mart protein vs. something like Isopure low carb. 100% isolates are more expensive, but you're getting more protein in smaller overall serving sizes.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I use Nutracore Lean Active 7. It's 30 grams of protein for 145 calories and tastes FABULOUS.
  • jrompola
    jrompola Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Check out bodybuilding.com
    I use Elite Dymatize pure protein isolate
    For bars I've tried quest and they're good
    I also have tried doctor's carbrite, pure protein, and a few others
  • CycleGuy9000
    CycleGuy9000 Posts: 290
    Options
    I wouldn't use bars because they tend to have a lot of sugar in them, the best protein powder I've used is Platinum Hydrowhey from Optimum Nutrition (http://www.optimumnutrition.com/products/platinum-hydrowhey-p-271.html), it has 30 grams of protein per serving with only 140 calories, 1g fat, 2g, carbs, Myotein is supposed to be the best complete protein powder but I haven't tried it yet.
  • iheartmy1dog
    iheartmy1dog Posts: 207
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I'll look all those up and try some!!

Is it possible to get too much protein?
  • ksuetorres
    ksuetorres Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I like Zone Perfect. For about 200 kcal you get 12 or so grams of protein, a bunch of vitamins and minerals, barely any fat. There's some sugar, but that just makes it taste good. . . .
  • CycleGuy9000
    Options

You can calculate your protein intake here http://www.freedieting.com/tools/nutrient_calculator.htm
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options

Stay within your calorie goals, and you won't get too much protein.
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options

Questbars are one of the best on the market. Zero sugar, 20g of protein, good fiber. Most other protein bars are simply glorified candy bars. Message me if you have any questions.
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Quest bars are the bomb!!

Pure protein, Zone Perfect and Pro Max Lower Sugar bars are pretty good too. I also like the pure protein bars - you can get them at Walmart or Target too.

Protein - EAS is good and so is Dynamize Iso 100.
  • JBliss1108
    JBliss1108 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I use Annex Gold from Complete Nutrition. There are 22g protein and 120 cal in one scoop, or 5.4cal per protein gram . I mix mine with water. Taste is ok too.
  • CycleGuy9000
    Options
    Quest bars are better than most bars but you could have a ON Hydrowhey protein shake, get 10 more grams of protein, 30 less calories and 0 grams of sugar. Protein powders contain more protein and less calories than bars per serving.
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    It doesn't beat Quest, but Think Thin bars are pretty good. You can find them in many stores, too (Safeway, Giant, Target, BBB)
    They don't have the fiber of Quest and they have a bit more calories and carbs.

20 g protein
    240 calories
    Gluten Free
    No Sugar

Protein source is whey isolate, soy isolate, caseinate, and casein
    Sweetner is malitol

I really like the crunchy peanut butter.
  • iheartmy1dog
    iheartmy1dog Posts: 207
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks everyone! I'm headed to the store later so I'll definitely try some of those out! :)
  • bethanyfranco1
    Options
    Cottage cheese. Much closer to food than protein bars. (probably) the most protein per calorie you can get.

^awesome idea, thanks. another pro to eating cottage cheese-- doesn't cost 25 bucks for 12 servings.