Can i lose weight only doing strength training and toning excersises ?

Options
I dont like cardio and because im 30lbs heavier any jumping and running hurts my knees im only 22 and dont want to hurt my body. Im 5 days into this tracking cals and excersise and wondering do i have to do cardio or is strength excersises and calories enough ? I eat 1700-1800 calories because mfp said 1300 for mt weight of 154 and im currently full time breastfeeding. At this calorie intake im good and not starving.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Yes, if you're eating in a calorie deficit
  • LucasWilland
    LucasWilland Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    She's right, but if you are a small female and looking to get smaller, it is generally not a good idea to cut your calorie intake under 1,200: not only does it make getting in proper nutrients harder, but the female body is also more prone to quick metabolic adaptation, due to the importance of nurturing a child during times of famine, which means that the only way to continue to lose fat or weight would be to cut down your calories until you reached a point where you were practically starving to death.

This, of course, is not an ideal situation, and adding in some cardio may be a necessary form of evil to keep the deficit going without some serious malnutrition problems.

To answer your question, you don't have to do cardio to lose any body fat, but it can make dieting easier by allowing you to consume more calories.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I didn't do any cardio (not counting walking and being generally active) when I most recently lost my baby weight. I had really limited time, I was exhausted constantly so I made my time in the gym count.. I lifted weights 2-3x per week (30 min each). Plus I did not do cardio because I was nursing and did not want to create an even larger deficit.
    Just make sure that intake is right for you and your milk supply does not drop. Good luck!
  • croftie4
    croftie4 Posts: 221 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Kettlebells is cardio and strength in one and a lot of people on MFP have had success with just kettlebells and CICO. Just make sure you increase the KB when it becomes easy
  • Misspinklift
    Misspinklift Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Seem like a lot of great advice in this thread. I lost weight by doing just weight and eating the right amount of calories. I even did the macro diet, which is you eat a certain percentages of proteins, carbs, and fats.
  • jla2425
    jla2425 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I didn't do any cardio (not counting walking and being generally active) when I most recently lost my baby weight. I had really limited time, I was exhausted constantly so I made my time in the gym count.. I lifted weights 2-3x per week (30 min each). Plus I did not do cardio because I was nursing and did not want to create an even larger deficit.
    Just make sure that intake is right for you and your milk supply does not drop. Good luck!

Just curious how many calories did you eat ? I eat around 1600 - 1800 and im not hungry by bed time. I am definetly going to just do walking and no intentional cardio until i quit breastfeeding. I dont want to gain it after
  • jla2425
    jla2425 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    She's right, but if you are a small female and looking to get smaller, it is generally not a good idea to cut your calorie intake under 1,200: not only does it make getting in proper nutrients harder, but the female body is also more prone to quick metabolic adaptation, due to the importance of nurturing a child during times of famine, which means that the only way to continue to lose fat or weight would be to cut down your calories until you reached a point where you were practically starving to death.

This, of course, is not an ideal situation, and adding in some cardio may be a necessary form of evil to keep the deficit going without some serious malnutrition problems.

To answer your question, you don't have to do cardio to lose any body fat, but it can make dieting easier by allowing you to consume more calories.

The laat time i tries 1200 calories when not breastfeeding i was starving i dont know how women survive i have to eat more than that personally vbut your right is there ways to ibcrease métabolism? I have a slow one obesity runa in my Family so anything i eat i plump up ive always has to be cautious my whole life
  • sardelsa
    edited April 2017
    Options
    jla2425 wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »

Just curious how many calories did you eat ? I eat around 1600 - 1800 and im not hungry by bed time. I am definetly going to just do walking and no intentional cardio until i quit breastfeeding. I dont want to gain it after

I wasn't really tracking consistently, but I was probably eating around 2700 cals, I am 5'7" for reference. And it took me about 7 months to lose my baby weight.
    How many months postpartum are you?
  • sardelsa
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Strength training and toning don't burn many calories and you can't do them often as cardio, so you will have to rely strongly on diet.

OP is also nursing which burns quite a few cals
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    jla2425 wrote: »
    I dont like cardio and because im 30lbs heavier any jumping and running hurts my knees im only 22 and dont want to hurt my body. Im 5 days into this tracking cals and excersise and wondering do i have to do cardio or is strength excersises and calories enough ? I eat 1700-1800 calories because mfp said 1300 for mt weight of 154 and im currently full time breastfeeding. At this calorie intake im good and not starving.

If you eat the same as before and increase exercise in any way you will lose weight because you are creating a calorie deficit. But weight lifting burns very few calories in comparison to cardio. If you are going to go that route, you will probably want to cut back on what you eat or you won't lose much weight.