Options
2»

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Bovus2017 wrote: »
    I can say from personal experience and from the bulking diet my trainer designed for me that, emphatically yes, eat big to get big. My trainer broke it down for me like this:

Bodybuilding consists of 4 equally important part,

1. Training (and, yes, lifting big to get big)
    2. Diet (high protein at 2 grams of protein per lb of lean body mass every day, throughout the day, spread out over 6 meals; the caloric goal he set for me was 4500 calories/day)
    3. Supplements (glutamine is essential for muscle growth; protein supplements like Muscle Milk help attain the daily protein goal; and, hey, there are other bodybuilding supplements out there which, although controversial, are nonetheless effective)
    4. Sleep (since muscles need rest and our bodies do the lion's share of repair and building while we sleep)

As an FYI, Glutamine is way overhyped and hasn't even been proven to be effective in healthy individuals.

https://examine.com/supplements/glutamine/

"It is generally touted as a muscle builder, but has not been proven to enhance muscle building in healthy individuals; only those suffering from physical trauma such as burns or muscular wounds (knife wounds) or in disease states in which muscle wasting occurs, such as AIDS. In these individuals, however, glutamine is effective at building muscle and alleviating a decrease in muscle mass typical of the ailment."

That makes perfect sense, given that it's only conditionally essential, when extreme injuries are present. Comparing the microtears from weight training to burns is completely preposterous, but I've seen that used as the justification before.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I can say from personal experience and from the bulking diet my trainer designed for me that, emphatically yes, eat big to get big. My trainer broke it down for me like this:

2. Diet (high protein at 2 grams of protein per lb of lean body mass every day, throughout the day, spread out over 6 meals; the caloric goal he set for me was 4500 calories/day)
    3. Supplements (glutamine is essential for muscle growth; protein supplements like Muscle Milk help attain the daily protein goal; and, hey, there are other bodybuilding supplements out there which, although controversial, are nonetheless effective)
    4. Sleep (since muscles need rest and our bodies do the lion's share of repair and building while we sleep)

As an FYI, Glutamine is way overhyped and hasn't even been proven to be effective in healthy individuals.

"It is generally touted as a muscle builder, but has not been proven to enhance muscle building in healthy individuals; only those suffering from physical trauma such as burns or muscular wounds (knife wounds) or in disease states in which muscle wasting occurs, such as AIDS. In these individuals, however, glutamine is effective at building muscle and alleviating a decrease in muscle mass typical of the ailment."

That makes perfect sense, given that it's only conditionally essential, when extreme injuries are present. Comparing the microtears from weight training to burns is completely preposterous, but I've seen that used as the justification before.

Also worth noting that someone on that high of a protein intake (2g/lb LBM) is likely getting in a ton of glutamine already.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

Also worth noting that someone on that high of a protein intake (2g/lb LBM) is likely getting in a ton of glutamine already.

Considering that glutamic acid is the most abundant AA in pretty much every protein source (chicken boob has something like 2.5g of it per serving, compared to the second most abundant, aspartic acid, which is 1.5g), this is a pretty safe bet.