1630 calories a day?

Options
I'm a 5'7" woman, and I weigh 167 pounds. MFP says that eating 1630 calories a day I'll lose a pound a week, but it seems like a lot of food! Has anyone successfully lost with approximately this calorie intake?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You have more than likely eaten more to gain weight. Why wouldn't you trust MFP? But you have to weigh your food, not "guess portions" - if you "estimate" you can eat way more than you intended.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Yes I lose about 1.5lbs per week eating 1600 cals. I weigh more than you though.

According to scooby your TDEE when set to sedentary is around 2020 cals. So 1lb per week is ballpark of what you should lose with that goal.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I averaged 2000 calories a day for most of my weight loss. I'm only 5'4.5" and even now 2000 would have me losing weight.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I'm shorter than you and could quite easily eat double that.... More, if I ate calorie dense food all day.

Enjoy it!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,082 Member
    Options
    I am shorter than you and weigh around 135 lb.

I am eating 1710 per day and I don't find it a lot of food.

Admittedly that is my maintenance number, I lost on 1460.
  • LovesDogsAndBooks
    LovesDogsAndBooks Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I am about your height, but heavier, and I also have my settings to lose 1 lb per week, and I was given 1400 something cals to loose. I put in sedentary lifestyle, maybe you put in active and that's why you're allotted more cals?
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I'm shorter than you and 3lb heavier but I've lost 15lb so far this year eating 2000+ categories, so depending on your activity level it's perfectly possible (1'd lose nearer to 2lb/week on 1600)
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i've lost 10lbs eating 2200-2400 a day (5'3" and 149 right now, started out at 159)
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    teacherink wrote: »
    I'm a 5'7" woman, and I weigh 167 pounds. MFP says that eating 1630 calories a day I'll lose a pound a week, but it seems like a lot of food! Has anyone successfully lost with approximately this calorie intake?

5' 10" Male losing weight on 1830 calories. No, I don't think 1630 is a lot.

The number is generated by the information you initially enter in your profile. If that was entered accurately, the suggested calories should be correct.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Yes well I am eating more and losing 1 to 2 lbs a week. That said 1600 is a lot less then you likely have been eating. Scales and careful measuring and logging is key. I know I am horrible at eyeballing a serving and I believe most of us are.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    It's not that much food. It's comfortable though. I eat about 1700 during the week to maintain and a bit more on the weekend and find it just tricky enough to need to log for it.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    No, it's not that much food at all.

• fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I would gain on that much, and I am 5'7". But I know I am at the low end of the TDEE scale. I think for most people that number would work. Try it for a few weeks, and if you don't see results, then cut back a bit. You really have to play around a bit and find the right number for YOU.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    It seems like a lot because you've been conditioned to think that you have to eat like a little bird and be miserable to lose weight.

My wife is 5'2"/5'3" and loses about 1 Lb per week on 1800ish calories. She's jogs pretty much 5 days per week and lifts one day. I lose about 1 Lb per week on 2500ish calories.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and started at 254 lbs. Initially, MFP set my calories at 1710 for 1 lb/week (at 'sedentary'). I started walking at least 30 minutes a day at a leisurely pace (often more) and didn't eat back my exercise calories but kept them as a cushion against miscalculation. I lost 1-2 lbs every week for a month and wasn't hungry.

Now, after the first 10, when I got MFP to recalculate, it cut me to 1670 (I think? Maybe I started at 1720. I forget.) I was exercising more and still losing about 2 lbs, but I was getting hungry now. So I've been eating back half my exercise calories.

I'm now 45 lbs lighter (tomorrow is weigh-in day, so we shall see if that changes), down to 1470 calories base, exercising either 50 minutes on a fitness glider (the display tells me it's slightly under 500 calories) or walking at least an hour, plus fitness tubes for strength work every other day. I'm still eating back half my calories and still losing 2 lbs/week most weeks. (I also have 79 lbs standing between me and goal and I'm over 200 lbs, so still losing less than 1% body weight; as I get closer to goal, I'll be taking it a little easier, but for right now, 2 lbs/week isn't overly aggressive.)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"8 and 149lbs , lightly active. I'm losing .2kgs a week eating a minimum of 1660 calories. I'm a couple kgs away from goal weight