My motivation is really starting to die.

Options
2»

Replies

• ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Olympic style lifting like snatches and cleans?

Another thing I want to say is that all the body builders, fitness models, etc, spend YEARS trying to get that look. Their entire profession is looking good. They spend their entire day in the gym and are extremely strict about their diet. Don't compare your behind the scenes to someone's highlight reel.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    ugofatcat wrote: »

Another thing I want to say is that all the body builders, fitness models, etc, spend YEARS trying to get that look. Their entire profession is looking good. They spend their entire day in the gym and are extremely strict about their diet. Don't compare your behind the scenes to someone's highlight reel.

This, plus for the contests, photo shoots, etc they are prepping to look like that for a couple of days. Don't look like that typically. Not to mention Photoshop, chemical "help", etc.
  • morecrunch
    morecrunch Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am assuming you are currently eating at maintenance and gaining strength (lifts are progressing) but it's not increasing muscle mass/reducing body fat?

If recomping isn't working well enough, have you considered cutting to a lower bf then slowly bulking?
  • dave_in_ni
    dave_in_ni Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    morecrunch wrote: »
    I am assuming you are currently eating at maintenance and gaining strength (lifts are progressing) but it's not increasing muscle mass/reducing body fat?

If recomping isn't working well enough, have you considered cutting to a lower bf then slowly bulking?

Yes thats exactly what I am doing, lifts are going up yes but no noticeable muscle built.
  • dave_in_ni
    Options

Yeah I know that and probably quite a few drugs as well. I'm comparing myself to guys at the gym, friends etc who don't go through the counting and tracking everything I do, who maybe don't even know what macros are. I've seen friends make more progress pissing around at home with 30kg worth of vinyl dumbbells than I have.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    dave_in_ni wrote: »

Yeah I know that and probably quite a few drugs as well. I'm comparing myself to guys at the gym, friends etc who don't go through the counting and tracking everything I do, who maybe don't even know what macros are. I've seen friends make more progress pissing around at home with 30kg worth of vinyl dumbbells than I have.

Comparison is the thief of joy

You're not them, how do you know what they do? You're not with them 24/7...
  • dave_in_ni
    Options

True. But there is a high probability
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

True. But there is a high probability

High probability of what?

I'll repost my suggestions:
    I'm not trying to argue, just pointing out that you started this thread because you're not getting results, yet now you're saying you're happy with what you're doing.

As the saying goes, If you do what you've always done, you'll get the results you've always got...

No I know you're not, the point is I must have done what 5 programs now, everything from low rep stronglift type workouts to roid based high rep programs and nothing has really done anything worthwhile.

Perhaps my expectations are too high, perhaps I am comparing myself to folks who are using a little extra to get results if you know what I mean.

So I'd start with ruling out medical issues, and then have a conversation with your trainer about your goals and realistic results and time frames.

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    morecrunch wrote: »

Yes thats exactly what I am doing, lifts are going up yes but no noticeable muscle built.

Then maybe you need to try a SMALL calorie surplus (bulk) so your body has something to work with to build muscle, since it seems like you don't have the patience for the slow results of a maintenance recomp.
  • dave_in_ni
    Options
    Right guys I thought I would update this, I saw my doctor yesterday morning. I got hormones check yesterday and results today, thyroid function was fine but yes low T, I am being referred to a "endocrinologist"? I did not get any number so I assume the endocrinologist will give more detailed results.

It certainly explains a lot, there are quite a lot of symptoms associated with low T such as hot flashes which I have had for years and I never knew why, my face would be bright red on fire for no apparent reason, I actually went to the doctor regarding this about 10 years ago but she brushed it off as an anxiety related

But on the weightloss and body building side of things it also explains my high bodyfat percentage and inability to build any muscle. The question is what is the cure for low T? I'm 35 and I can recall having symptoms back as far as 20 years ago.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Treatment is usually hormone replacement therapy.

Edited to add: there really is no "cure"--ideally your body would be making enough on its own. It's a hormone-imbalance. Can be caused by lots of different things--hopefully your endocrinologist can help you sort it all out.
  • jademflynn
    jademflynn Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I had a brief look at your food diary. You seem to love your bread, biscuits and sweets and your protein intake is very low for someone seeking to be more muscle than fat. My suggestion would be to calculate your TDEE and opt for a macro ratio of 40% protein, 40% fat and 20% carbs. Swap your biscuits for lean proteins like white fish, cut down on the bread and eat more lean protein (e.g. at breakfast eat 4 eggs, at dinner have 2 chicken breasts instead of 1). This may require you to increase your kcal intake to meet your protein requirements, but if you work out 3 few hrs per day and eat very regularly a high protein low carb diet (+ plenty of water) then you should start seeing results. Your MyProtein strawberry stevia whey powder is lower in protein and higher in carbs than many other protein powders. I'm not aware of all the protein powders out there, but this might serve as a good comparison for you:

MyProtein Strawberry Stevia Impact Whey Protein

Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein Powder:

Good luck.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Right guys I thought I would update this, I saw my doctor yesterday morning. I got hormones check yesterday and results today, thyroid function was fine but yes low T, I am being referred to a "endocrinologist"? I did not get any number so I assume the endocrinologist will give more detailed results.

It certainly explains a lot, there are quite a lot of symptoms associated with low T such as hot flashes which I have had for years and I never knew why, my face would be bright red on fire for no apparent reason, I actually went to the doctor regarding this about 10 years ago but she brushed it off as an anxiety related

But on the weightloss and body building side of things it also explains my high bodyfat percentage and inability to build any muscle. The question is what is the cure for low T? I'm 35 and I can recall having symptoms back as far as 20 years ago.

Thanks for the update! Keep us posted on what your endocrinologist says.

Meanwhile, the poster above me had some good suggestions re upping protein.
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Sorry you're not motivated congrats on such a high streak!!!
  • dave_in_ni
    edited April 2017
    Options
    jademflynn wrote: »
    I had a brief look at your food diary. You seem to love your bread, biscuits and sweets and your protein intake is very low for someone seeking to be more muscle than fat. My suggestion would be to calculate your TDEE and opt for a macro ratio of 40% protein, 40% fat and 20% carbs. Swap your biscuits for lean proteins like white fish, cut down on the bread and eat more lean protein (e.g. at breakfast eat 4 eggs, at dinner have 2 chicken breasts instead of 1). This may require you to increase your kcal intake to meet your protein requirements, but if you work out 3 few hrs per day and eat very regularly a high protein low carb diet (+ plenty of water) then you should start seeing results. Your MyProtein strawberry stevia whey powder is lower in protein and higher in carbs than many other protein powders. I'm not aware of all the protein powders out there, but this might serve as a good comparison for you:

MyProtein Strawberry Stevia Impact Whey Protein

Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein Powder:

Good luck.

Hi, if u look closer at my diary you will see I eat 0.8-1g of protein per lb of body weight. I'm 169lbs so I eat 150-170 grams of protein per day. Anymore is apparently over kill.

Sure I eat bread and carbs, most low GI. And mainly to give me energy for my lifting.

I've been doing all this since I started this 18 months ago or so.