How do I get more fiber in my diet?

Options
2»

Replies

• mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    All good advice above on eating foods for fiber, rather than supplements, esp. oatmeal, fruits/veg, beans, etc.

There's hardly a day where I'm not getting 25+ g of fiber, which seems to be a good number for me.

I'm now blending in whole apples (not the cores) and bananas with yogurt and milk for a quickie simple smoothie. Apples are great for fiber.

I bake about 80% of the family's bread. Usually a whole wheat base, with other whole grains, including oat flour. I typically add rolled oats in with the oat flour and wheat germ with whole wheat bread for a little extra "bulk." This is good, but, since we're also reducing our glycemic load, we can't possibly get enough fiber through bread. But every little bit helps ...

However, if food isn't doing it for you, then a supplement might. For an extra kick of fiber, I used to mix some "Garden of Life Raw Fiber" mix in with my whey drink as a midmorning or midafternoon snack drink when i was still working (I may be "retired and not know it" at this time).

Good luck.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Breakfast today was a cup of refried beans with a half a cup of spinach and some chiles cooked in. SEVENTEEN GRAMS of fiber.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    More vegetables and beans. Barely spring here, so that mostly means soup (soup vegetables are what is cheaply available right now).
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    gnaw on a tree :):D
  • birgitkwood
    birgitkwood Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Prunes. I love them! 5 are 100 calories, and that's my daily after dinner snack.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Millie4195 wrote: »
    I have been struggling to get forms of fiber in my diet, all I have done is eating wheetabix in the morning

Millie is another one post and gone.

I don't think it was an April Fools post?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »
    Millie4195 wrote: »
    I have been struggling to get forms of fiber in my diet, all I have done is eating wheetabix in the morning

Millie is another one post and gone.

I don't think it was an April Fools post?

I do not understand why people post and don't bother coming back..

Well, hopefully the replies here helped someone else.