Equipment: Running shoes vs indoor shoes

Options
Just a quick poll: Do you have a separate pair of shoes for running outdoors and one for indoor workouts (treadmill, lifting, classes, etc)?

I think I'm going to have to bit the bullet and buy two pair of shoes. Going for a run outdoors just picks up a bunch of junk (mud, dirt, small rocks, etc) and I feel like it's gross of me to wear them to the gym. But cleaning them off each day makes it easier and easier to just put off gym work until it's too late in the day.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    No, just running shoes because my home gym has carpet so I workout bare foot
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    fitbethlin wrote: »
    Just a quick poll: Do you have a separate pair of shoes for running outdoors and one for indoor workouts (treadmill, lifting, classes, etc)?

I have running shoes, several pairs, and a pair that I don't use for running any more. Don't use running shoes for non-running activities in order to avoid reducing their mileage life.
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I usually have four pairs of running shoes going at any one time. I wear them both outside and on the treadmill. I do have one pair that I always use when it is wet outside. I don't run trails so mud is not usually an issue.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    You're gonna have to buy a new pair of running shoes eventually. Get a new pair now and then use your old ones for the gym.
  • ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do. I use Nike to run inside the gym (a.k.a. treadmill), and to run outside I have a pair of Asics. In the future I plan to have a single pair that most likely will be Asics
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I have 4 pairs of running shoes: 2 for roads (which I would use on the treadmill if I ever ran on one) and 2 for trails. I have another pair of shoes that I use for anything non-running: bike, elliptical, zumba, weight lifting, etc...
  • 34blast
    34blast Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I think I have more shoes than my wife :-) As far as working out
    3 pairs of running shoes ( 1 indoor, 1 outdoor hard pavement, 1 for trails or mixed)
    1 pair of weight lifting shoes
    1 pair of indoor soccer cleats
    2 pair outdoor soccer cleats
    1 pair softball / baseball shoes

By wearing the lifting or running shoes only indoors then tend to last forever and look good as well
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Running has turned me into Imelda Marcos. I use:

3 pair Saucony Kinvaras, in rotation, for road and track running
    1 pair Saucony Peregrines, for trail and snowy road running
    1 pair Saucony Kilkennys, for cross country running
    1 pair Asics 33-M2s, for walking and general purpose wear
    1 pair retired Saucony Peregrines for lawn mowing and snow shoveling

The Kinvaras are my go-to shoes for running, and I don't use different shoes for the indoor track from running on the road. I don't use a dreadmill, and I never go to the gym; I'm typically barefoot when I do my strength training exercises at home. Once in a while I'll forget the last set of push-ups and end up doing them wearing whatever shoes I have on when I remember.

Why 3 pair in rotation? a) It makes them last longer. b) If I get leg twinges after running in the white pair but not after running in the blue pair or the grey pair, I know it's time to retire the white pair. c) I can shop for them online 3 pair at a time, and just buy the 3 cheapest colors available.

For the hard core runner, running shoes are a consumable item. I'm currently getting 400-500 miles out of a pair of Kinvaras, and I've run 675 miles in 2017 to date. The shoes I put into rotation in March are unlikely to last till next January. Having multiple pairs in rotation doesn't change the total cost, but does make it more convenient to manage shopping and shoe replacement.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I do, yes... but that's because I'm a gear hound and I jump at any excuse to buy new stuff. I've got shoes for long distance running, speed work, racing, bad weather, groomed trails, rugged trails, etc etc. Right now I've got, I think, 12 pairs of "athletic" shoes.
  • fitbethlin
    fitbethlin Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I think you guys are enabling my gear addiction. >:) I bought two new sets of shoes through amazon (known brand though, and I know my sizing). I'll have my current pair for outdoor city running, a pair for the gym, and a trail running pair.

All this about 1 month after I did a serious decluttering and threw out tons of stuff from my closet. Now that I've refilled the shoe rack, I need to find a few more good workout tops to fill out that shelf again...
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of running shoes for trail running, a pair for non trail running, and I lift in converse.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Running shoes, one trail, one track. worn out track pair goes into gym rotation for elliptical/treadmill

Gym shoes. Vibrams or barefoot. for weight training/strength/lifting.
  • Run4life375
    Run4life375 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have two pairs of trail/outdoor shoes and two pairs of indoor/road shoes. Also my cross-country spikes.
  • Run4life375
    Run4life375 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    3 pair Saucony Kinvaras, in rotation, for road and track running
    1 pair Saucony Peregrines, for trail and snowy road running
    1 pair Saucony Kilkennys, for cross country running
    1 pair Asics 33-M2s, for walking and general purpose wear
    1 pair retired Saucony Peregrines for lawn mowing and snow shoveling

Wow, finally someone who loves Saucony even more than I do!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I just have to say that I, like everyone else here, it seems, have many shoes. I have some very minimal-drop trail running shoes that I reserve for my lifting. I have about three different shoes that I run in. And then, I have a pair of running shoes i use for when I go over to the track at the community college two blocks from my house.
    Do I need to use so many shoes?
    Probably not. But I like not beating up the lifting shoes with a distance run, and I like having the clean pair for the track, and I switch for the long runs because I can and because I think it will help each pair to last longer (In my mind, they are resting when they are not being used, and resting is good).
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Hee! Yes, I have a lot of shoes. I've got 2 pair of running shoes that I use the most - a pair of my standard, most-favorite Asics for most runs and a pair of Saucony "trail shoes" that I love for this one particular route, plus those are the ones I'll wear for a rainy run.

I've also got a pair of somewhat more "minimalist" shoes that I never really planned to run in - I bought them for walking (and, uh, fashion), really. But I really like them for my speed intervals on the indoor track so I'll probably keep buying them.

I have a pair of shoes that I wear just for kickboxing. And those are the shoes I guess I'm wearing for lifting.