How effective is swimming?

Options
My legs are incredibly sore from yesterdays workout. I want to go to the gym, but everything will suck! Even if I just did cardio, I'd be using my legs. I'm thinking about maybe swimming today instead but I always feel so weak sauce just swimming...

I know swimming is good for you but not the best. How do you guys feel about exercising through swimming laps?

Replies

• MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I LOVE swimming almost feel like its one of the best workouts ever ...but I'm not an expert.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I would argue that swimming is one of the best as it uses the whole body and works parts of your body that don't get worked doing anything else.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Extremely Effective
  • WiseAngel2
    WiseAngel2 Posts: 19
    Options
    Swimming is one of the best exercises you can do. It it has zero impact on your joints and really gets your heart pumping while you develop some muscles propeling yourself through the water.

Here's an article on just 10 of the health benefits of swimming: http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/aging/retirement/10-health-benefits-of-swimming.htm

Enjoy!
  • krmullig
    krmullig Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Swimming is a phenomenal exercise. You use every muscle group and you're putting next to no strain on your joints. Try the butterfly stroke if you really want to feel it!
  • swagoner94
    swagoner94 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Wow I didn't realize swimming was that good..
    i figured exercises where you actually have impact on the knees and stuff were better for calorie burning?
  • WiseAngel2
    WiseAngel2 Posts: 19
    Options
    Although you burn a lot when you use your legs (big muscles and all) if you want to do them for a long time and over the course of your fitness journey, you don't want to wear out your joints too much. So incorporating things that are low to no impact (swimming, biking, rowing mahcines, elliptical, etc.. ) into your routine will give you longevity, allow to stay fit, and also add variety to your workouts.
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I actually asked before on the MFP why swimming is not so popular here. People replied that its because not many gyms offer swimming pools.

I love swimming! I was in swimming team at the age 4-10. It helps you relax and clear your mind, and it's very easy et extremely effective. It also shapes your body beautifully yet doesn't stress your joints, as others have mentioned already.

When I go to gym, if I have enough time, I always try to finish my exercises with nice 20-30 minutes swimming. And Hamam afterwords!
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I feel like my swimming is a very effective workout. It was the only exercise I could really handle when I started. I was huge and EVERYTHING hurt. I've lost a significant amount of weight, and my arms are more toned than they have ever been in my life. With swimming I have painlessly improved my range of motion, flexibility, endurance, and strength.

There's nothing "weak sauce" about getting up to your target heart rate doing a full body workout, although, if you're doing it right, you'll be feeling it in your legs too (but not your joints, which is great in my arthritic book).
  • SASSYnCHICago
    SASSYnCHICago Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Can't go wrong that's for sure :) -- I do a huge variety of activities: running, spinning, kickboxing, weight training & swimming laps! to mix it up.
    I feel the combination of doing a little of a lot of things gives me an all over body workout. I seen the most changes in leaning up my upper body & abs when I increase the amount of swimming I do. During the winter- i didn't do much swimming - too cold here, and not fond of wet head, but i can tell you that I noticed an huge difference once I stopped and than restarted in the last 3 months. My shoulders, triceps, bi's and abs are getting more tone than ever! I just wished I started to do it when I was younger, but so happy that I'm into it now - although it's extremely hard at first to learn and build up resistance - now with the hot weather I love to do laps, right after a run or spinning class!
  • Leaping_Lemur
    Leaping_Lemur Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    It's my favorite aerobic activity. It's a great upper and lower body workout, uses muscles that are otherwise never worked, doesn't hurt my knees, and gets your heart rate way up. Plus it's probably the only sport where you have to breathe regularly and frequently or else you die 8-).

I used to just paddle around in the water, and frankly it wasn't that effective as a workout. A year ago my son (age 7 at the time) really got into lap swimming, and I started doing it more seriously myself. I can really tell when I've been swimming hard because I can feel it in my muscles later.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I know swimming is good for you but not the best. How do you guys feel about exercising through swimming laps?

Ummm...swimming is one of the best full body workouts on the planet. Go swim a mile non-stop and tell me you feel like weak sauce. The best athletes in the world usually swim.
  • PLoveElliott
    PLoveElliott Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Swimming is an amazing workout. It is an all over body workout that includes strength and cardio. I would incorporate it into your normal workout schedule.
  • ReneeReiser
    ReneeReiser Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I believe swimming is very effective. Before I even decided to lose weight last year, I went swimming almost every day in the summer and I was amazed at how fast my body was changing. Not just weight loss, I was toning too. I haven't been swimming since I have lost weight but I bet I would still get the same results.
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Swimming is great! It's also often used for physiotherapy!

Go swim! your legs will thank you for it!
  • swagoner94
    swagoner94 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I went swimming :)
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Swimming is awesome!! I just went swimming on my lunch break. Not only is it arguably the best kind of exercise, it aids with recovery as well. Make sure you really stretch during your strokes, you will recover faster. That's why I swim after every lifting session, or the very next day.