Any short person make it to a healthy weight after being obese? Questions about appearance

Options
I am 5'2 and currently 166 lbs. I tend to stay in the 160-170 range but have gone up to about 185. About 10 years ago I made it to 140 (which still puts me as overweight), people kept telling me I looked sick and "too thin" .I still had a rather large stomach and arms compared to the rest of my thin body. I was wondering if I had lost more weight if it would've reduced the appearance of those areas?? Unfortunately I didn't follow through and here I am again. Just wondering if anyone ever got to a normal weight range and if all things fell into place (such as trouble spots looking proportionate to the rest of the body. Thank you! need some motivation!

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I'm a little taller (5'4.5") than you but have gone from 260 lbs down to 122 lbs. I recently gained a bit and am about 132 lbs currently (135 in profile pic).
  • amyteacake
    amyteacake Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I'm about 5ft 4 and I've went from 175lbs and I'm not sitting at 146lbs. My stomach is my main issue as well despite losing nearly 2 stone but I keep telling myself that it will sort out eventually and just watch what I'm eating more as well as try certain workouts to see if that helps.

You got this!
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    This has more to do with body type than height. Us apples have to lose quite a bit of weight to see the stomach shrink (and we'll never have enough hips to have the "small waist; curvy hips" look that all women's clothing manufacturers seem to favour).
  • brendacs21
    brendacs21 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Susan, I think you are correct, I am apple shaped and my stomach has always been an issue. although I think im a lil more self conscious of my arms
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4", went from 160 to 130 so far
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,007 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4.75". I went from 195 to 125. I am also apple shaped. I was getting comments about being too thin and not needing to lose any more. But they have lessened. Honestly I still have more fat on my stomach than I would like, but I am trying to maintain where I am. And for the most part I think I look pretty good. I think that @JaydedMiss is right. People today don't always recognized a healthy weight.
  • kimkaissi
    kimkaissi Posts: 2 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I’ve gained a little weight in the past 2 months because of health issues but I am 5’1 and I was 120 lbs. When I started my weight loss journey, I was 180 lbs. Like people said before me, yes your body type determines where your fat goes first. I gain weight first in the legs and butt. From what I read and from my own experience, the first place you tend to gain weight is the last place where you lose weight. I’m not saying you won’t lose anything of course but I think at 140 lbs if you had lost a little more then that would have come from the stomach most probably. I gain first in the legs and that’s the last place I lose from so at 120 lbs my stats were like that :

Arms : 9,5 inches
    Breast : 34,5 inches
    Waist : 24 inches
    Hips : 33,5 inches
    Legs : 20,5 inches
    Calves : 13 inches
    Ankles : 7,9 inches

So obviously I still had a lot of fat to lose (more so in the legs and unfortunately when I gained a little weight back on recently well that’s exactly where I gained it back lol) When I first started to lose weight, I was losing more in my upper body even though I looked pear shape and the weight loss was giving me even more of a pear shaped appearance lol Later on in the journey, I started to lose more in the lower body than in the upper body and my proportions evened out a little more. I’ve never been in a healthy weight range and my family was telling me I looked sick and too thin at 120 lbs. A lot of people outside from my family were constantly congratulating me and telling me it was great. It’s sad but other people started to get nicer the more I lost ^^ Anyway, I just want to say I feel you with the “you look sick” and “you’re too thin” comments that are in a way discouraging and bothersome. In those times, I try to tell myself that what matters is what I think of myself and how I feel health wise. To answer your question, I too believe everything falls into place when you get to the weight you want to get to. Let’s motivate each other to lose weight and be healthy! :)
  • brendacs21
    brendacs21 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Jadedmiss I think you look great! I know there will always be that little left over trouble spot. Im ok with it! In my mind people get used to seeing you at one weight/shape that when it changes its hard for them to get used to the new you .