Thoughts?

Options
rjel78
rjel78 Posts: 102 Member
Just trying to gain some feedback on the Atkins diet....what are your thoughts?

Replies

• leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    It worked for me but it wasn't how I wanted to eat so I ended up gaining my weight back.

The end goal is maintaining your weight loss so a sustainable diet is key.

If you like to eat that way then it's great. If you don't think you can eat that way pretty much forever, I'd suggest just counting calories and eat the foods you like.

• STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I've tried Atkins and it does work but it's not sustainable for a long time. To lose weight this has to be a sustainable process and by giving up food that you enjoy it's not going to be a sustainable lifestyle.

Like any other diet program they work but the question is can you constantly do it for the rest of your life for this to work you can't look at this as a diet. Remember to lose weight it's just a matter of eating less calories than your body burns on a daily basis and you will lose the weight
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I do something very similar. I keep carbs very low, usually under 20-30g per day and eat higher fat. I can't remember much of the atkins specific plans though.

For me it worked great. I have insulin resistance so this diet keeps my BG much lower and much more stable than any other diet could. I used to have reactyive hypoglycemia so I needed to eat every couple of hours or I had the shakes, cold sweats and felt faint - that's completely gone now. It also lowers inflammation so my autoimmune issues have been pretty stable. Eating LCHF reduces my appetite so I don't eat as much and it is easier to lopse weight. I also seem to lose weight slightly faster for some reason. Other good side effects include better hair and skin, and my cognitive functions increased by a rather disturbing amount.

And I like the food. Bacon, eggs, whipped cream in coffee, cheese, pepperoni sticks, nuts, veggies with cheese dip, fish, beef, pork... all good.

I'm a LCHF lifer.

There are more of us in the Low Carber Daily MFP group.
    Diem78 wrote: »
    I felt like poop when I tried it. My energy was gone, I had headaches every day. To each their own though. I prefer to have carbs in my diet because I certainly don't plan on living a no or even low-carb life!

Headaches and low energy are caused by an electrolyte imbalance. If you cut carbs, insulin falls, and you no longer retain water or electrolytes. You need to replace the electrolytes lost with 3000-5000 mg or more of sodium each day. There is 2300 mg of sodium in a teaspoon of table salt - you need a little over 2 tsp of salt per day. Extra magnesium and potassium also helps.

If you address your electrolyte needs you can entirely avoid the symptoms of an electrolyte imbalance (headaches, fatigue, weakness, BM issues, nausea, muscle aches and cramps).
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    Does not appeal to me at all.