How much calories does walking actually burn?

Options
I walk my dog almost everyday for about 45 minutes. How much calories am I actually burning? Does it burn a lot? I feel like you don't burn much by just walking.

We walk in a normal pace, no running or jogging.

Replies

• fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Generally 100 calories a mile is a rule of thumb. Up or down based on your weight. But that's a decent general guide.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I walk my dog everyday for 1.5 hours and I burn about 300 calories. I'm 57, 5'4" and 120 pounds.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    xpurplumx wrote: »
    I walk my dog almost everyday for about 45 minutes. How much calories am I actually burning? Does it burn a lot? I feel like you don't burn much by just walking.

We walk in a normal pace, no running or jogging.

If you are walking 3 mph go to http://www.myfitnesspal.com/exercise/add_to_diary?type=cardio and use the entry "Walking, 3.0 mph, mod. pace, walking dog" and it will adjust for your height and weight, etc.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    I burn upwards of 1,000 caloriees a day walking. it definatly burns plenty
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »

So you are walking more than 3 hours a day at a brisk pace every day then? I am 50 kgs and walking 4 hours at 6 km/hr gets me to around the 1000 calories and I don't have time to do that every day.
  • JaydedMiss
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »

So you are walking more than 3 hours a day at a brisk pace every day then? I am 50 kgs and walking 4 hours at 6 km/hr gets me to around the 1000 calories and I don't have time to do that every day.

ye i walk 10-15 miles a day (20-22ish km i think?) xD (20-35k steps) and im 140 pounds

I promise self id walk to work every day :P then both jobs are active
  • JstTheWayIam
    JstTheWayIam Posts: 6,357 Member
    Options
    15% more if you wear a weighted vest
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options

ye i walk 10-15 miles a day (20-22ish km i think?) xD (25-35k steps) and im 140 pounds

Impressive.
  • JaydedMiss
    edited April 2017
    Options

ye i walk 10-15 miles a day (20-22ish km i think?) xD (25-35k steps) and im 140 pounds

Impressive.

Not really, Its stupid XD I hate my life until i get home and then the most serene feeling of pride kicks in i eat my big ole dinner and snack proud of myself then sleep and repeat with sore legs XD to be fair i can only do it 5-6 days a week before i need a rest day but still close enough to daily

i do prefer to spend my free time walking to work and home thn just sittinh watchin tv but as im doing it it kinda sucks XD

point being yes walking burns good calories if you do it at a good speed or for long enough. only exercise iv done on my weight loss intentionally has been walking
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,195 Member
    Options
    I go with 200 cal per hour ... at a realistic pace of 4 km/hour.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    It depends on your size and on the speed and elevation change. If you don't feel you are burning much with your walks, then you are probably fit enough to walk faster (or add in some jogging intervals) which will increase the calories burned. Or you can add in hills. If you walk a lot of steep hills, you burn much more...and you will quickly start to see definition in your legs.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I burn around 250 - 300 cal per hour of walking I do. I use an HRM to monitor the output and it changes a little depending on the speed, the gait and whether or not I am fighting the wind (a high probability where I live).

Also, that's at a leisurely pace.. usually with my nose in a book.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    5'6", 165 lbs, and my HRM usually tells me numbers in the 500-600 range for about 1 hour and 5 mins of walking. That ends up being 5 total miles for me (yeah, I'm a power walker, heh).