Everest base camp training

Options
litoria
litoria Posts: 239 Member
Hi all, I decided I needed a fitness goal so I'm aiming for the Everest base camp trek in September. I live in some good steep hills, so I'm hiking everyday (am and pm) for 90 minutes each walk, 7kg pack..in addition to a longer hike on weekends.
Anyone else got some advice for me?

Replies

• fitbethlin
    fitbethlin Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I know you said you live in steep hills, but elevation above sea level will impact you too. Can you train any at higher elevations (on vacations or in regular life)?

I have no idea what I'm talking about really, but I have slowly and painfully hiked a few mountains that are over 14,000ft (4267.2m) above sea level. Some people - like my husband - don't even notice the elevation change. Somewhere between 13,500 and 13,800 ft, I have a much harder time concentrating and I don't breathe as efficiently. Doesn't stop me, but it is really nice to train through that a couple of times so when it happens during your big event, you'll know how to handle it.
  • litoria
    Options
    Yes I wish I could but I live in Australia, our "high mountains" are nothing really and aren't high enough for any kind of altitude training. Altitude is probably the only thing I'm a bit worried about because I can't do a test run and don't know if I'm one of those folks who are sensitive to it
  • fitbethlin
    fitbethlin Posts: 162 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Yikes! That's a limitation. Maybe a trip to NZ to try Aoraki / Mount Cook ? Or finding one of those altitude simulation training gyms, just to get a feeling for what it might be like.

When I climbed my first 14,000ft peak, I was totally unprepared. I didn't know anything about the way altitude effects people. People I met on the trail suggested "pressure breathing". Just knowing that there was something I could do (even though it only sort-of works) made that hike and the ones since a lot easier to deal with. I can recognize when the altitude hits me earlier now and can start to accommodate my breathing or recognize that it's time to concentrate on the basics.

I had one hike a few years ago where I realized I'd been above 13,500ft long enough that I was starting to take really short steps. Once I recognized what was happening, I was able to concentrate on longer step length.

So training didn't make me any fitter, it just made me less freaked out when I felt the symptoms. You'll have plenty of time to prepare mentally, so when you start to feel it, you'll know what's going on.
  • litoria
    Options
    This is a really useful insight, thankyou! I might acquire one of those altitude training masks...and it'll make me look badass as I hike :-)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I assume you're going with a guided group? What do they recommend for prep?
  • ronocnikral
    ronocnikral Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Mask doesn't help. I would argue it actually has the opposite effect than what you are trying to achieve.

Low intensity, long duration training is what you need. If you want a book to reference and is easy to understand I would recommend training for the new alpinism. You can also check out their website uphillathlete.com. They recently featured a guy who trained in NYC and submitted everest and some other 8000m peak without supplemental oxygen. With the base training done, you need to acclimate, which is more "art" than science.
  • litoria
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I assume you're going with a guided group? What do they recommend for prep?

Oh yes, definitely going with a group, they recommend doing whatever you can to increase fitness and get used to being on your feet with additional load for several hours - have also been to a personal trainer who's done the trek. I just figure there is a lot of accumulated experience and knowledge amongst the folks on this site so I thought I'd call upon it
  • litoria
    Options
    Mask doesn't help. I would argue it actually has the opposite effect than what you are trying to achieve.

Low intensity, long duration training is what you need. If you want a book to reference and is easy to understand I would recommend training for the new alpinism. You can also check out their website uphillathlete.com. They recently featured a guy who trained in NYC and submitted everest and some other 8000m peak without supplemental oxygen. With the base training done, you need to acclimate, which is more "art" than science.

Thanks for the reference, I will do some more research.
    Appreciated!