Mixed Resistance Workout

Options
Weights or body weight training? Why not both? Here's a schedule I put together (I usually incorporate a jog at the beginning, but that's just my own personal preference). The exercises alternate between weighted and bodyweight across the days of the week. The pattern is bodyweight-weight for every other exercise, but then switches to weight- bodyweight the next day. Monday starts with bodyweight abs followed by weighted chest, then bodyweight back, weighted arms, then bodyweight legs. But on Tuesdays it flips! I like to perform these sets as a circuit. Let me know what you think or if you have questions!

Monday
Leg raises, chest/bench press, v-push ups, bicep curls, jump lunges

Tuesday
Medicine ball crunches/bananas, push ups, lat pull downs, tricep dips, dumbbell squats

Wednesday
Plank (1 minute), cable/chest flys, pull-ups, overhead press, prisoner squats

Thursday
Plank rows w push ups, upright row, tricep dips w leg raises, deadlifts

Friday
Air ball crunches, cable dips/press downs, pull-ups, one legged Romanian squats

Saturday
Murphs or whatever workout I missed for the week

Replies

• rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I switch up my routine or focus just about every month.

Last month I focused on cardio and I got in 4 - 6 miles of fitness walking (not steps) in most of the month and I strength-trained 2 days a week.

Now I'm back to my normal routine:

M-W-F: Lower Body + Cardio (2+ miles)
    T-Th: Upper Body + Cardio (2+ miles)
    Sat & Sun: Sports, long walks/hikes or an active rest day if needed

What I do actually varies and I plan out my workout the night before. I mainly use DVD's/Youtube workouts, but I freestyle and create my workout routine as well. I have a lot of equipment in my home gym too which keeps me from getting bored.

Also I use both weights and body weight exercises, plus I use a resistance medium-strength band from time to time.

Sticking to a rigid plan wouldn't work for me, but I'm glad you've found a routine that works for you!
  • gavlewis23
    gavlewis23 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I agree. Switching it up is a key component for growth and functional fitness. I use dvds too. I love Insanity! I'm doing a lot of treadmill running now with resistance in the morning. Because I do martial arts in the evening, i wanted to find a way to pull my traditional training together in the morning. I never lifted in the AM before two months ago. Now it's like, whoa! It feels great! I've gotten some pretty good results from it too. Thanks for sharing
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! I'm a Beachbody fan (Body Beast, Chalean Extreme and Hammer & Chisel), but I haven't done Insanity.

It sounds like it's all coming together for you! Keep up the great work!