How to get rid of rice

Options
2»

Replies

• cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I just fit rice into my calories. I'm not Asian, but I was raised with a lot of calrose rice and still love it.

You may need to adjust your calories to your current weight and track carefully for a while.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    What @Machka9 said. I've lost 35+ lbs and I'm maintaining while eating rice in most meals. Both white and brown.

Maybe the problem is not the rice but the things you eat it with. Maybe the oils/fats used when cooking the entire meal are what's making it calorie dense.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    It's not the rice...rice is fine...you're eating too many calories in general if you're not losing weight.
  • wenrob
    wenrob Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    jadebuniel wrote: »
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    It is not rice alone, but your total calories.

So your weigh your food when you log?

Before, but I keep eating the same thingin the same amount so I don't do that anymore.
    You could be having some "calorie creep" happening then. When you stop weighing/logging, portions tend to start creeping up a little bit. Do that three times a day (or however many meals you eat), seven days a week and you could be wiping out your deficit without realizing it. I suggest going back to weighing/logging and adjusting from there. No reason to give up rice, you may just need to cut back something, somewhere a little bit.
  • cmtigger
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I switched from white rice to brown rice because it fulfilled the need, but for some reason I didn't want nearly as much of it. You could try giving that a go. I actually prefer it now.

There is virtually zero nutritional difference between white and brown rice. There's nothing wrong with either of them and personal preference is plenty of reason to switch (or not switch), but neither is "healthier" than the other.
    Iirc, the main difference is a little more fiber in brown rice. But that comes with calories. I prefer white rice and the difference isn't enough for me to switch.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »
    I switched from white rice to brown rice because it fulfilled the need, but for some reason I didn't want nearly as much of it. You could try giving that a go. I actually prefer it now.

There is virtually zero nutritional difference between white and brown rice. There's nothing wrong with either of them and personal preference is plenty of reason to switch (or not switch), but neither is "healthier" than the other.
    Iirc, the main difference is a little more fiber in brown rice. But that comes with calories. I prefer white rice and the difference isn't enough for me to switch.

Great article about the nutritional differences between white and brown rice here: http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/brown-rice-vs-white-rice/
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    IMHO, you need to learn how to eat your regular food with less rice. Remember you are training yourself for maintenance mode and it's probably not realistic to eat like you've given up rice completely. Whenever you are with family and friends, rice will be part of the meals.
  • Harbin2017
    Harbin2017 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My husband is filipino and his family ate rice like we eat bread, it came with literally every meal. I have nothing against rice but don't like how it's served bland usually and comes just as empty calories without much of a taste sensation. I excluded rice and bread from my diet for some time now and he doesn't complain about not eating it. It's a matter of habit. Rice is not water, you can survive without it:)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    I'm Filipino and we eat rice in all meals. Before I ate 2 cups of rice per meal. Then I discovered how calorie dense rice is and how it is not good for you. Now I eat 2 cups of rice per day. I lose weight by doing that at the beginning. Now my weight is stable and it doesn't go down nor go up. I want to give up rice because maybe that's what holding me back. I'm planning to lose body fat and gain muscles. What do you suggest to substitute rice?
    Pare, I eat rice just about everyday. It's not the rice, it's how much you're eating.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• cmtigger
    Options
    Harbin2017 wrote: »
    My husband is filipino and his family ate rice like we eat bread, it came with literally every meal. I have nothing against rice but don't like how it's served bland usually and comes just as empty calories without much of a taste sensation. I excluded rice and bread from my diet for some time now and he doesn't complain about not eating it. It's a matter of habit. Rice is not water, you can survive without it:)
    Though this is going to depend on the specific husband. I remember battles where my mom figured that potatoes, pasta, or rice was enough starch for a meal and my dad wanted bread. He did learn quickly that her reply to that was to put a loaf of sandwich bread on his plate, and eventually learned meals are okay without bread.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    It's just calorie dense. It's not bad. Manage portions to 1 cup per day or maybe arrange one meal per day without it and you'll be fine.

Usually i eat protein(meat) + rice + fruit. If I remove the rice I will only eat meat and fruit? Or do I need to add something to compliment the absence​ of rice xD

Not really, you can replace the rice in one meal with vegetables or a salad. Good carbs and less calories and you need your greens anyway.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

Great article about the nutritional differences between white and brown rice here: http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/brown-rice-vs-white-rice/

Thanks! I slowly phased out brown rice after getting lots of white rice in Costa Rica and then using it when I cooked Thai for my ex and vastly preferring it over brown. (I grew up on brown rice and it was fine until I started eating white regularly.)

Now I can remove any lingering guilt ;)
  • cmtigger
    Options
    I actually had white rice for dinner, but only 1/2 cup cooked, then I topped it with a mushroom and scallop mixture I made.

I actually weighed out 100g of calrose, which was 1/2 cup and cooked it with a cup of water and only ate half.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I had 3/4 of a cup, topped with a Jamaican red bean stew. (Red kidney beans, onion, carrot, sweet potato, and diced tomatoes, simmered in light coconut milk with seasonings.)
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options

Thanks. That was a really interesting article. I like learning something new every day. I personally prefer the taste of brown rice so this is my preference but eat white rice ossasionally. Now it will be with no guilt knowing how similar the two are.
  • LucasWilland
    LucasWilland Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Body fat % has nothing to do with whether you can have rice or not. In fact, some of the leanest and healthiest people in the world, the Blue Zones, have the majority of their calories, 60%, from rice and carbohydrates. It is true, however, that rice can be quite calorically dense, and white rice is perhaps not the most filling. If that is the case, you could either have less white rice or substitute with cauliflower rice, which has only about 35 calories per cup.