So how many calories AM I burning during my workout?

Options
2»

Replies

• fitbethlin
    fitbethlin Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Otherwise, you're going to spend a lot of time googling the supposed benefits of apple cider vinegar.

LOLOLOLOL

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    allyphoe wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    a leisurely walk for an hour at 3.5mph would give you almost 200 cals.
    I assume you were working a lot harder than that on the elliptical.

I'm guessing you're tall. As an average-height woman, 3.5mph (a 17 minute mile) is "I'm in great shape, intentionally trying to walk fast, and can't string two words together without a gap in between." 4.0mph (a 15 minute mile) is a speed I can't sustain for more than a mile, and I need a pace person to get there, even when I've been diligently increasing my walking pace for a year; my legs just don't move that fast at a walk.

For comparison, I can get wattage-based calorie counts from an elliptical of 600+ per hour at a pace I can sustain for an hour.

What now?

I'm 5'3" and that's my normal walking pace. Also, my post run walk back home pace (add a min per mile if it was a really long run for me). Yes, my normal walk is quicker than most, I'm always having to go around people, but it isn't even close to a workout.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    allyphoe wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    a leisurely walk for an hour at 3.5mph would give you almost 200 cals.
    I assume you were working a lot harder than that on the elliptical.

I'm guessing you're tall. As an average-height woman, 3.5mph (a 17 minute mile) is "I'm in great shape, intentionally trying to walk fast, and can't string two words together without a gap in between." 4.0mph (a 15 minute mile) is a speed I can't sustain for more than a mile, and I need a pace person to get there, even when I've been diligently increasing my walking pace for a year; my legs just don't move that fast at a walk.

For comparison, I can get wattage-based calorie counts from an elliptical of 600+ per hour at a pace I can sustain for an hour.

What now?

I'm 5'3" and that's my normal walking pace. Also, my post run walk back home pace (add a min per mile if it was a really long run for me). Yes, my normal walk is quicker than most, I'm always having to go around people, but it isn't even close to a workout.
    Must vary a lot between people? I work in kilometres, and 3.5mph is 5.6km per hour. On the treadmill that was just my brisk-walk-because-I'm-running-late pace, and I can carry on a conversation without difficulty. I can't go above 6.4km per hour (3.9 mph) without running, though. I'm nearly 5'3.