Benching and unracking struggles

Options
maranarasauce93
maranarasauce93 Posts: 293 Member
edited April 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
My new programming calls for low rep bench sets at 80% plus of my 1 rep max. I can bench this weight no problemo on my own for low reps; however, once I get past 115lbs (80%), I struggle to be able to unrack the weight independently. I am able to get the weight out of the hooks but just don't have the ability to bring the weight forward. Any strategies to independently unrack the weight? I just find it a bit painstaking to find some stranger who is willing to give a simple hand off every time I do a double or single.

Replies

• not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Can you set the pegs lower so you aren't having to reach as high to unrack? That usually helps me, however once I get heavy enough it's just hard to unrack no matter what and I usually opt to ask for help.
  • maranarasauce93
    Options
    Can you set the pegs lower so you aren't having to reach as high to unrack? That usually helps me, however once I get heavy enough it's just hard to unrack no matter what and I usually opt to ask for help.

Unfortunately there is only one rack with adjustable pegs at the gym and it is usually in very high demand. So I end up using one of the bench sets at the gym which only has a setting of very low pegs and very pegs. I use the lowest setting and have to bend my arms to unrack it in the first place which takes a lot of energy especially with heavier weights. I try doing the hole drive traps into bench and bring butt up to get it out deal but I just can't move the bar away from the rack and toward my chest :(
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i'm not a bencher. by me the only thing that happens with bench is you do it and then for three days your boobs hurt. i'm not sure i quite get the purpose of it.

but with that said: i struggle with pin heights as well, and i think lats are mostly the key for me in bringing it into lockout position once it's unracked.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Eh, I'd just slide a little further up the bench so as to only need to move the bar forward very little.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    find a spotter that you can train to help you unrack. its really not safe or smart to unrack heavier weights without someone to hand it off to you. also the energy you waste unracking is now energy you now dont have for the lift. There isn't much you can do except train someone to be your spotter and drag them to the gym with you, its worth it you will be safe and progress much more than without.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    The two main issues I see when people face unracking challenges are as follows at least in my experience:

1) The rack height is simply set too high.
    2) The lifter is too far down the bench in the setup.

Regarding #2, I would generally set up with the barbell around eye level.

Finally one thing you can try is to unrack with your butt up in the air, off of the bench. This puts you in a stronger position to unrack and you can then set your butt down on the bench once you've got the bar in position.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    You may have to position your body so your armpits are nearly under the barbell when it is racked. You'll still have clearance to bench appropriately.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Eh, I'd just slide a little further up the bench so as to only need to move the bar forward very little.

Doesn't work if you're doing a J curve on your decent and accent.

• prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »

Doesn't work if you're doing a J curve on your decent and accent.

I don't, so it's all good for me.
  • mreichard
    mreichard Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    find a spotter that you can train to help you unrack. its really not safe or smart to unrack heavier weights without someone to hand it off to you. also the energy you waste unracking is now energy you now dont have for the lift. There isn't much you can do except train someone to be your spotter and drag them to the gym with you, its worth it you will be safe and progress much more than without.

I am by no means an expert, but this seems like good advice to me. Especially since the bar going into and out of the rack is the least safe part of the lift if you don't have safety bars --- you can control the descent and do the roll of shame when the bar is at chest level, but when it's over your face or neck it seems like that would be harder.

What I do find personally is that any distraction (like being concerned about unracking) really takes away from my ability to lift. For example, I worry (totally unreasonably given the relatively light weight that I'm lifting) about benching without safety bars. My worksets right now are normally 3x5@210, but when I lift without safety bars, I drop down to like 195 and do more reps --- the silly, nagging worry in the back of my mind keeps me from lifting what I normally can. YMMV.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Ask for some help.

I am quite capable of benching upwards of 190 pounds alone.

I am not quite capable of unracking anything over 165# alone. There is absolutely no shame in asking for help unracking and a hand off.

Just make sure you let them know what you're doing- and in my case I have to remind spotters that my bar never goes "up" and out- it just goes straight out like this -->.

the first time one of my tall friends unracked for me I almost dropped it on my face because he took the bar up out then down- a little like this ^---v.

It was super awkward- we laughed about it- but it sucked the first go round- now I remind them I don't have very far to reach.
  • maranarasauce93
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Ask for some help.

I am not quite capable of unracking anything over 165# alone. There is absolutely no shame in asking for help unracking and a hand off.

Just make sure you let them know what you're doing- and in my case I have to remind spotters that my bar never goes "up" and out- it just goes straight out like this -->.

the first time one of my tall friends unracked for me I almost dropped it on my face because he took the bar up out then down- a little like this ^---v.

It was super awkward- we laughed about it- but it sucked the first go round- now I remind them I don't have very far to reach.

Haha oh gahd! The thing that worries me about handoffs is some people don't understand after you tell them not to "dump the bar". The last time I asked for a handoff from a stranger he thought I wanted him to keep his hands right by the bar so I literally said "you can let go now!" Before I benched XD ! Meh I guess I'll suck it up and ask for the hand offs though. It's just annoying because with this program in going to need hand offs for about 5 sets or so and I take like 5 mins rest between sets.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    The two main issues I see when people face unracking challenges are as follows at least in my experience:

1) The rack height is simply set too high.
    2) The lifter is too far down the bench in the setup.

Regarding #2, I would generally set up with the barbell around eye level.

Finally one thing you can try is to unrack with your butt up in the air, off of the bench. This puts you in a stronger position to unrack and you can then set your butt down on the bench once you've got the bar in position.

All of this. I train in a competition rack so that my rack and safety height is perfect for me. I can safely unrack without a liftoff up to just over my max. But when I do supermax work (negatives and bench holds), I'll get a liftoff
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Ask for some help.

Haha oh gahd! The thing that worries me about handoffs is some people don't understand after you tell them not to "dump the bar". The last time I asked for a handoff from a stranger he thought I wanted him to keep his hands right by the bar so I literally said "you can let go now!" Before I benched XD ! Meh I guess I'll suck it up and ask for the hand offs though. It's just annoying because with this program in going to need hand offs for about 5 sets or so and I take like 5 mins rest between sets.

yeah there are only a few people I get to spot me-ask people who you have either A. seen for a spotting other people and you see what they are doing- or B. people who lift similar to you- and understand what you need. C. be more vocal about what you want.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Ask for some help.

Just be REALLY clear about what you want them to do. Whenever someone asks me to spot them, I ask for more details so I know what they do and don't want me to do.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    it really helps to find one or two people and teach them , and workout with them regularly, rather than having to explain every time. And if i do have to ask a random person that appears to know what they are doing, i don't have the first lift they spot me be a heavy one, i show them what i want with an empty bar , and then have them start spotting around 60% so we get into the groove by 80+% .

what is your program that you are doing 5 sets at over 80%? that seems like a lot. how many reps per set?
  • maranarasauce93
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    it really helps to find one or two people and teach them , and workout with them regularly, rather than having to explain every time. And if i do have to ask a random person that appears to know what they are doing, i don't have the first lift they spot me be a heavy one, i show them what i want with an empty bar , and then have them start spotting around 60% so we get into the groove by 80+% .

what is your program that you are doing 5 sets at over 80%? that seems like a lot. how many reps per set?

I'm running gzcl. The 5 sets are for low reps, but the goal is to get 10-15 reps total within the first tier of the method. You are supposed to work with 85-100% of your goal weight (your 1RM minus 10%). The way I run it, I do 1 set of 3, increase weight by 2.5% for 2 doubles, and then increase weight another 2.5% to do 3 singles. Since I do 2 bench days, one day has me focusing at lower weight for volume (tier 2), and another day I do one plus set at heavier weight after singles. It's fun stuff!
  • maranarasauce93
    Options
    @SideSteel I followed your suggestions and made sure to keep my eyes under the bar as I am already unracking from a low height. I managed to unrack my 125lb singles. It was slow going but doable. soo that's an unracking PR for me lol.