Is Kombucha healthy?

Options
SalmonSister
SalmonSister Posts: 37 Member
edited April 2017 in Food and Nutrition
Is kombucha a healthy alternative fizzy drink? Health benefits/bad? Can you drink too much of it? I really can't get enough of it, lol

Replies

• JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    If there are a significant amount of calories then yes, you can get too much of it if it pushes you over your daily caloric goals.
  • strshllw84
    strshllw84 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    It's suppose to be really good for you and I don't believe it's a high calorie drink.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I make my own but its health benefits are overrated, IMO.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I've heard of it, but after looking at pictures of how it's made, I don't think I could ever drink it.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    It is a sugary drink so fine in moderation not good in excess
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    It's fermented, so if you get a true 'buch if you drink too much you'll get a buzz. It can also cause diarrhea. The recommendation is no more than 20oz per day. The probiotics are healthy, but they don't negate the fact that kombucha does, in fact, have calories so make sure you log it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    amtyrell wrote: »
    It is a sugary drink so fine in moderation not good in excess
    The kombucha I get is NOT a "sugary" drink.

Here's my take: is it better than water? eh, who knows. Is it better than a soda" Yes, absolutely. Otherwise plan it into you calories if you count those, or just think of it as a once a day event if you don't.
  • SalmonSister
    Options
    Thanks for the input! I personally like the organics raspberry black currant, it has 4g of sugar and 45 calories per container. I'll continue with the bouch, better than soda :)
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    It's not really a sugary drink, as the sugars are consumed by the scoby.

I make water kefir, which is similar but not from tea. It's good. I think it's good for my digestion. It's cheap (because I make it, so it's just a bit of sugar and then some juice). If you DO love it, it's worth learning to make and getting a starter. I think it's fun to do this stuff, though.
  • SalmonSister
    Options
    Water kefir that sounds delicious!? I love blueberry kefir, any specific recipe you use?
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    To answer OP's original question - yes, kombucha is a healthy alternative fizzy drink. Way better for you than drinking soda (as a comparison "fizzy" drink). During the fermenting process, the symbiotic culture of yeast and bacteria (aka scoby) eats the sugar so the sugar load is pretty low, as are the calories. It's not much different than the process to make wine, beer or vinegar.

For an 8 ounce serving it's about 30 calories and 2 grams of sugar. Plus, the probiotics are really good for you. That being said, it should be consumed in moderation just as all other good things.

As far as how it's made being a turn-off, I'll take home-brewed natural kombucha over many other processed foods like hamburger, sausage, lunchmeat, or processed "cheese-food". Ever heard of pink slime? People consume these food products all the time without knowing what happens behind the scenes to make them.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Is kombucha a healthy alternative fizzy drink? Health benefits/bad? Can you drink too much of it? I really can't get enough of it, lol

It's pretty low calorie and my husband swears that it helps his digestion and drinks it daily.
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    janjunie wrote: »

It's pretty low calorie and my husband swears that it helps his digestion and drinks it daily.

I find I don't feel as bloated when I drink kombucha. There is a local company that every so often sells seasonal flavors of 'buch and it is amazing. I've also really enjoyed the Humm Kombucha Target exclusive flavor - apple berry.

• FatPorkyChop
    FatPorkyChop Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I drink kombucha between meals quite a lot, the one I drink has very little calories and makes me feel great....
    i find it very helpful to regulate my appetite and I love it.