Is weighting yourself everyday good?

Options
The MyFitnessPal app reminds me to weight myself after 3 days of not weighting myself. I was always taught that weighting yourself once a week at the same time and day is best since bodyweight can fluctuate between 6 pounds. Is that correct?

Replies

• eatingems
    eatingems Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday just out of interest, but I only really take my Monday morning readings as gospel.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    bodyweight can fluctuate between 6 pounds. Is that correct?
    Yes.
    I was always taught that weighting yourself once a week at the same time and day is best. Is that correct?
    No. What is best is what is best for you. If you treat fluctuations as data points of a trend, weigh daily. If you consider each reading on the scale an exact measurement of your body weight, don't do that. If you can't handle fluctuations, weigh monthly. If you can manage your weight without weighing at all, stop weighing. If you freak out over a number on the scale, and let the number decide your worth or whether you should starve yourself or gorge yourself, consider getting professional help.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    amtyrell wrote: »
    Depends
    Yes if
    You like extra data points for trending and you get it that weight will flux and a 2 lb swing wont freak you out
    No if
    Omg i am 2lbs heavier then yesturday i am a failure

This right here
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Yes.
    I was always taught that weighting yourself once a week at the same time and day is best. Is that correct?
    No. What is best is what is best for you. If you treat fluctuations as data points of a trend, weigh daily. If you consider each reading on the scale an exact measurement of your body weight, don't do that. If you can't handle fluctuations, weigh monthly. If you can manage your weight without weighing at all, stop weighing. If you freak out over a number on the scale, and let the number decide your worth or whether you should starve yourself or gorge yourself, consider getting professional help.

I really don't understand this sort of thinking. If you can't handle fluctuations you need to learn how to handle fluctuations. Weighing monthly isn't fixing anything because the fluctuations are still there.

For example, you might have weighed 200 lbs on March 1st and wait until April 1st to re-weigh and see you weigh 201 lbs. OMG, it's the end of the world!!! If you weighed daily or nearly daily you might realize that the 200 lbs on March 1st was a very light day and that the 201 lbs on April 1st was a very heavy day... you'd see the days in the 190's that would let you know you're making progress. There's no reason to weigh hourly but in general more data points will tell you more than fewer data points. Daily seems pretty reasonable, just do it every day at the same time and it will become a habit. It takes a few seconds. Seeing fluctuations daily should help calm you about fluctuations.

Or go the other way and don't weigh at all, just use a tape measure or how your clothes fit. That's what is really important, not the number on the scale.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    MFP doesn't not remind me to weigh myself every 3 days...it'll remind me to log in and complete my diary but not to weigh in. Maybe this is a setting you can change?
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily as I log it into a trending app (Happy Scale) to follow and understand when and how my weight fluctuates.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    It's fine to weigh every day as long as you realize that fluctuations WILL happen. Some people want to give up if they see they're up half a pound over yesterday.

One recommendation if you do go for every day is a weight tracking app where you can look past the fluctuations and see the overall trend. Popular ones are Happy Scale on iOS, Libra on Android, and Trendweight.com (though you need either a Fitbit or Withings account for that one, I believe).
  • hookandy
    hookandy Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I have switched to daily and use trendweight.com At first the swings used to freak me out, but seeing the numbers after a few beers or a meal out starts to make sense of what is "real" and what is water retention. Also remember that seeing a high number in the morning also encourages me to keep focused that day!
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the person. As I'm trying to lose weight, I do not like to weigh myself every day. I find the daily fluctuations frustrating and I get discouraged. I prefer to weigh myself every other week or even once a month. However, when I get to my goal weight and I'm trying to maintain I plan to weigh myself every day. Everyone I know who has successfully maintained their goal weight does this because it allows them to adjust their food and exercise that day. For example, maybe if they indulged over the weekend, they know to boost their exercise and lower their calories for the next few days to even it out.
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    It's fine to weigh every day as long as you realize that fluctuations WILL happen. Some people want to give up if they see they're up half a pound over yesterday.

One recommendation if you do go for every day is a weight tracking app where you can look past the fluctuations and see the overall trend. Popular ones are Happy Scale on iOS, Libra on Android, and Trendweight.com (though you need either a Fitbit or Withings account for that one, I believe).

Great recommendation. I don't use one of those apps but they look great. I just type my weight into a spreadsheet and graph it myself.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Yes.

I really don't understand this sort of thinking. If you can't handle fluctuations you need to learn how to handle fluctuations. Weighing monthly isn't fixing anything because the fluctuations are still there.

For example, you might have weighed 200 lbs on March 1st and wait until April 1st to re-weigh and see you weigh 201 lbs. OMG, it's the end of the world!!! If you weighed daily or nearly daily you might realize that the 200 lbs on March 1st was a very light day and that the 201 lbs on April 1st was a very heavy day... you'd see the days in the 190's that would let you know you're making progress. There's no reason to weigh hourly but in general more data points will tell you more than fewer data points. Daily seems pretty reasonable, just do it every day at the same time and it will become a habit. It takes a few seconds. Seeing fluctuations daily should help calm you about fluctuations.

Or go the other way and don't weigh at all, just use a tape measure or how your clothes fit. That's what is really important, not the number on the scale.
    I think we are thinking more alike than you think? I too think fluctuations should be handled rationally, or ignored. But I think weighing monthly is long enough to soak up fluctuations. Weekly weighing is much more prone to not having lost enough to not be confused by highs and lows.

Measuring is not a good strategy for me. My body is soft and I breathe. I also have "fat" days when clothes "feel" tighter (freshly washed jeans always feel tight) which are not reflected on the scale; and conversely, while gaining, I would wear the same size of clothes until they become so tight that I couldn't zip up. I was so in denial. I like the exact number the scale gives me.
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I think its a very individual thing. If I weigh weekly I tend to eat more on the day I weigh and the day after expecting that I can reel it in as I get closer to weigh day...so with that in mind I weigh daily;)
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    I weigh multiple times daily, I find it interesting and helpful to learn to monitor fluctuations without panicking
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Not if one lives and dies by the scale. There are too many people that put their faith on the numbers on the scale and deem it as success or failure.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • pvgiangeruso
    pvgiangeruso Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback.