MFP has me eating 1230 calories. Do you think this is too low?

Options
Hi all. I'm trying to lose around 10lbs and then maintain. I'm 5'7 and currently 138. Ideally I'd like to be 125, but I'd be happy with 130.

Do you think 1230 calories is too low? I go to the gym 4-5 times a week and eat back around half of my exercise calories.

Thanks.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    My guess is that you put 2 Lbs per week as your goal...I personally go by the 1% rule...more than 1% of my body weight is too aggressive.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    How many pounds a week did you tell MFP you want to lose?
  • MeganG12345
    MeganG12345 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    My guess is that you put 2 Lbs per week as your goal...I personally go by the 1% rule...more than 1% of my body weight is too aggressive.

I actually have it set to 1lb/week. I could switch it to .5?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

I would. (and have)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

I guess that's really up to you. I'm just starting this week in cutting my winter weight which is about 10 lbs...I'm pretty aggressive with it and shoot for about 1.5 Lbs per week as it will be short lived. It requires me to be more disciplined than I otherwise would have to be on a smaller deficit, but it's doable for me. I also take in higher protein and I also have a TDEE of 2800-3000 calories per day...so I can pretty easily manage around 2,000+ to lose at that rate which isn't going to result in any kind of nutrient issues.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I have about 10 lbs to lose and have MFP set to about 0.5 lb loss a week. I get hungry and would rather not get "hangry" lol You can do it, just don't get "hangry"
  • MeganG12345
    MeganG12345 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have about 10 lbs to lose and have MFP set to about 0.5 lb loss a week. I get hungry and would rather not get "hangry" lol You can do it, just don't get "hangry"

Oh wow. At .5/week it has me at 1480 calories per day. That seems way more reasonable and less likely to lead to hanger. Thanks. :)