Fatigue due to illness and exercise

Options
Hi there,

I have a blood disease called ITP and I'm always tired, like really exhausted, so some days (most days) it is really hard for me to exercise, when I have the energy I try and do 30 min of elliptical but mostly I can't do anything exercise-related. I was always lazy but this is on a whole other level.

I was wondering if any of you have a similar situation and how you have handled it? People with depression/other mental illnesses or lupus or different diseases that make you tired how do you do it? I just can't is so annoying.

Replies

• camila_scl
    camila_scl Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    bump
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    swimming is supposed to be easier on the body. Many people with physical ailments work out with water aerobics and other swimming exercises.

Editing this to add I would talk to my doctor about exercise, since you're ill -- the doctor would be the one to ask for guidelines.
  • cicisiam
    cicisiam Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    There are good days and bad days. Make the most out of the good days, and do not kick yourself on the bad days. There are other victories for the day when you cannot bring yourself to exercise..find them and acknowledge them they are just as important to your overall health.:flowerforyou: Hang in there!
  • janarita
    janarita Posts: 5
    Options
    I have grave's disease. Somedays I feel very bad, tired and have muscle pain. I found Leslie Samsone's videos on you tube and they work great for me as I can't do very hard things. If I feel better I make more miles at a faster pace, if it is a bad day I try to make at least 1 mile at a slower pace and the video keeps me motivated to finish it.
  • lucystacy71
    lucystacy71 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I have an auto-immune disease called IgA Nephropathy which has caused me to be in end stage kidney failure. The kidney failure has also led me to be anemic and thryoid issues - so I have good days and bad days. The most important thing is not to beat yourself up when you don't feel like exercising. Other people may tell you to just push yourself, but you don't need to hurt yourself. No one knows how you feel but you. On days you feel like it, get in a good exercise. Just take care of your body.
  • camila_scl
    camila_scl Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for your answers and best luck for all of you who are dealing with a disease