What's your go to quick dinner recipe?

Options
I'm a newlywed, and I have a lot of difficulty coming up with quick and healthy, nightly dinners! So I want to know some of your favorites! ** No shellfish please as my husband is allergic **

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I don't really have a "go to"...my wife and I alternate cooking nights and both of us get most of our ideas from Pinterest. Dinners are where we get most of our variety in our diets as we typically cycle through the same couple of things for breakfast and lunch, so we try to steer clear of monotonous evening meals.

Most of the stuff we do takes about 15-20 minutes. We typically seek out things that are relatively easy, but noms at the same time. We do a lot of one pot/one pan dinners. We also grill a lot, particularly as the weather is turning nicer.
  • williamjlunn
    williamjlunn Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I go to baked chicken when Im feeling lazy. Flavor it with seasonings and brown rice and a steam-able bag of veggies
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Mine is Chicken Pesto. Really simple ingredients and quick to make.
    Toast some pine nuts (I buy 70g bags)
    2 teaspoons dried basil or handful of fresh of basil (I use some fresh & 1t dried)
    Olive oil (pour in enough to cover pine nuts)
    Add salt & pepper to taste, then blend.
    Don't use extra virgin olive oil because the blending can make it bitter.
    Mix it through cooked pasta and chuck some chicken on top.
    I like to throw in baby spinach for colour.
  • mrschwarten
    mrschwarten Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    What I do, is once a week I will cook a whole mess of boneless skinless chicken breasts in the crock pot, then I shred it. (which, by the way, shreds SUPER fast with a hand mixer!!! While still hot, just a few moments with the mixer and it's done! No more cramped hands and wrists!!!) We eat out of that throughout the week. With the chicken, we make up a quick stir fry, mix it with pasta and sauce of choice, make fajitas...whatever we're in the mood for that night. But making a whole bunch at once cuts the nightly dinner cooking down to a fraction. It's just important to make sure that whatever you season it with is compatible to your desired dinners. Emril's Essence, for example, is a great multi-purpose that is good for any dish.
    Sometimes I even cook a whole bunch of noodles or rice at once too and we eat that over time. As long as your fridge is kept colder and you eat it within a reasonable time frame (and you're ok with eating 'leftovers'), it'll stay good!

Probably my favorite go to dinner is shredded chicken as described, with spaghetti noodles and mixed veggies (whatever's in the freezer). Toss that with a sauce made of Sesame oil and Soy sauce, amounts to your tastes, experiment to find them, with garlic and onion powders. It's just like chinese take out! What's awesome is if you pre-cooked chicken and pre-cooked the noodles, all you have to do is combine ingredients and microwave! Perfect after a long day at work!!
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Chicken, a fancy salad and garlic toast. I eat it almost every night lol
    65oghxe7f0lb.png
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast on the foreman with frozen veggies.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    The steamable frozen bag vegetables are my staple. If really pressed I just pick up a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store. It is extremely versatile. You can just throw it on a salad or in a sandwich, or make chicken tacos or a quick stir fry with some veggies and soy sauce.
  • kms234
    kms234 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I buy a rotisserie chicken from costco just about every Sunday. We use that for a lot of meals and lunches. Lately i make a salad or wrap with chicken breast, red peppers, cucumbers, red onions, a bit of feta cheese and Trader Joes tzatziki for dressing. That keeps me pretty full and it's delicious!

Another really quick dinner idea is eggs. Scramble a couple, add some veggies and you're done!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Manwich/Sloppy Joes and Tacos. Grilled Cheese/Tomato Soup. Edamame, crackers, laughing cow cheese wedge, apple.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    My no time and I need something fast standby is an omelet, if that is sufficiently dinner-like for you. I usually do a vegetable one, but obviously you can add meat -- shred anything leftover for max convenience and it makes it feel different.

Another super easy option that can include leftover meat repurposed is a stir fry -- cook rice separately, sautee with a little oil whatever vegetables you are using (I use this to use up things, it really doesn't matter, although I often include mushrooms, peppers, broccoli, onions, maybe carrots cut small, but anything works), add meat of choice (when you add it depends on what it is -- I often do tofu or shrimp or egg for protein (I know shrimp is out), but chicken breast works or, even better, lean beef sliced up, pork, whatever). At the end add the rice in and a bit of tofu and if you have it (it's amazing) Japanese 7 spice and mix around quickly.

Slower is a roasted chicken breast (skin on, bone in), but if you have a lot of skinless boneless this is nice for variety and super easy. Serve with roasted potato or sweet potato (or mixed root veg including carrots, turnips, etc.) and some roasted veg.

Fast again would be fish (if that is workable for your family) or a pork chop (cooks super fast). With pork chop I like to do a sauce of sauteed apple and onion with some sauerkraut, with maybe some roasted winter squash and green beans.

I often do a fast pasta meal that's just make the pasta, do a sauce not much different from the sautee I do for the stir fry, but usually with different choices based on what sounds good with pasta. I will usually add a bit of cheese at the end (goat or feta) and include something like chopped olives or pinenuts with the sautee (add at the end). I really enjoy smoked salmon with this and that makes it super fast, but again any meat you want works, or none at all (although then I'd add some other form of protein).
  • jcraig10
    jcraig10 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I have a list...and as you can see, we eat a lot of chicken.

Chicken tacos
    Buffalo chicken grilled cheese
    Steak or london broil w/ roasted veggies
    Chicken cheesesteaks
    Chicken stuffed w/ cheddar cheese, broccoli & turkey bacon
    Kielbasa, noodles, potatoes & green peppers
    Chicken noodle soup
    Spaghetti & homemade meatballs
    Chili lime chicken kabobs
    Lemon garlic chicken & linguine
    Shake & bake chicken
    Pork chops w/ veggies
    Jalapeno chip covered chicken
    Chicken bacon ranch quesadillas
    Chicken stuffed w/ mozz cheese, topped with tomatoes & basil
    Hawaiian chicken (crockpot...chicken, bbq sauce, pineapples)
    Chicken parm
    Ravioli bake (cook ravioli, then bake in oven with sauce & cheese)
    Chicken alfredo stuffed shells
    Grilled cheese w/ tomato soup
    Sausage tortellini skillet
    Beef & Broccoli
    Chicken or beef stirfy w/ peppers, broccoli, mushrooms
  • buffinlovin
    buffinlovin Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    My favorite is turkey enchiladas. http://www.recipe-diaries.com/2017/01/07/healthy-baked-turkey-enchiladas/

I actually make the filling beforehand and freeze it (I stretch it out a bit by using a larger zucchini and a whole large onion). I thaw it in the fridge or defrost in the microwave, heat it up completely on the stove and just fill the tortillas before putting it in the oven. Occasionally I end up with a decent amount of filling left, so when that happens I just top the enchiladas with the leftover filling instead of a second can of enchilada sauce. I also have a large container of non-fat plain greek yogurt which is a great substitute for sour cream.

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Learn how to grill a steak rare and mash potatoes fluffy, and he'll be happy.
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    A butterflied chicken breast cooked on the stove with a small bit of oil and whatever seasoning we are in the mood for. For sides we will do raw vegetables, a bag of the microwave rice or a bagged salad.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Some faster things- grilled meats, eggs, pizza (from prepared ingredients), grilled sandwiches, stir fry, pasta, salad, most fish, tacos, roasted vegetables
    Precooking a bunch of meat that you can add to casseroles, stir fries, soups, eggs, pasta, salads, pizza is useful for cutting down cooking time often cook a bunch of chicken thighs and remove meat from the bones and freeze it for later. I also freeze cooked beans for recipes.
    Get a slow cooker. Many recipes you just dump stuff in and walk away for 8 hours.

https://www.budgetbytes.com/category/recipes/quick/
    http://www.skinnytaste.com
    http://allrecipes.com/recipes/253/everyday-cooking/slow-cooker/
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I second precooking batches of something you like and stocking your freezer/fridge. You can pair it with fresh or steamed veggies.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I batch cook and freeze. I usually have at least 10 different things to choose from and I always keep fresh vegetables on hand.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    If I am really dragging my butt in the door, its delivery pizza!

If I can still stand, then its a fritatta, with whatever leftover veggies I have around the house, usually mushrooms and zucchini and onions.

Hubby loves pasta, so a quick spag and meat sauce will satisfy him, and I use spiralized zucchini as my noodles- I prefer them to pasta.

• Kristeenewd
    Kristeenewd Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Egg Roll in a bowl, 15 minutes top an soooo good! I use ground turkey instead of pork, and coconut aminos instead of soy, original recipie is yummy too but soy sauce can make it a bit salty- Enjoy!

http://tiphero.com/egg-roll-in-a-bowl/