adjustable dumbbells suggestions

In the seemingly never ending quest to outfit my home gym I'm finding myself in need of some dumbbells but I don't have the money or more importantly the space for a giant rack of them.

I'm looking at powerblocks, bowflex, ironmasters, or plate loaded handles preferably olympic.

any experience or suggestions would be appreciated.

I am looking for the ability to expand past 50lbs.

Replies

• dlm7507
    dlm7507 Posts: 237 Member
    I'm happy with these.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    If you are (or if anyone else who is is interested is) located in the SF Bay Area, I've got a pair of 50# each (100# total) Gold's Gym branded adjustable dumbells including the stand that I got for $100 off of Craigslist and will sell for the same.

Nothing wrong w/them. Just don't use them and don't think I ever will.
  • fitcrt
    fitcrt Posts: 76 Member
    I really like bowflex selectek, I am working through Chaldean Extreme and they are super fast and easy to switch, I tried a different brand that was awful and got rid of them. I wish I'd bought selectek to begin with!
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    thank you for the suggestions I'll keep them in mind.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    I have and like the PowerBlocks. Lots of range with each set, easy to change weight, 2.5# increments and solid enough.
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    I've had the Bowflex SelectTech weights for quite a number of years now and I LOVE them. They take up very little real estate and are super fast to switch over. They've changed quite a few things about them now, including more weight options (up to 90 pounds). Might look on Craig's list or something similar for a used set. They are pretty durable, so even used would be a good deal if someone took care of them.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited April 2017
    I have Powerblocks but they only go in 5# increments unfortunately, which is a big bummer for me... I'm honestly not sure that they actually make adjustable dumbbells that adjust in 2.5 increments AND go up to 45+ lbs though (some of them do go in 2.5 increments but only up to 25 lbs, which is pretty useless to me, I got stuck at 30 lbs chest presses for AGES).

So I'd probably go for something like this https://www.amazon.com/105-Adjustable-Cast-Iron-Dumbbells/dp/B009GC76NW/ref=sr_1_3?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1491306638&sr=1-3&keywords=adjustable+dumbbells

More of a pain to switch weights, but probably better long term (also not as easy to break, my kids somehow managed to drop my Powerblocks and my husband had to hammer them down to fix them... and it still sometimes get stuck with extra weights that are not actually attached, which is really dangerous if you're not careful).
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I have Powerblocks but they only go in 5# increments unfortunately, which is a big bummer for me... I'm honestly not sure that they actually make adjustable dumbbells that adjust in 2.5 increments AND go up to 45+ lbs though (some of them do go in 2.5 increments but only up to 25 lbs, which is pretty useless to me, I got stuck at 30 lbs chest presses for AGES).

So I'd probably go for something like this https://www.amazon.com/105-Adjustable-Cast-Iron-Dumbbells/dp/B009GC76NW/ref=sr_1_3?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1491306638&sr=1-3&keywords=adjustable+dumbbells

More of a pain to switch weights, but probably better long term (also not as easy to break, my kids somehow managed to drop my Powerblocks and my husband had to hammer them down to fix them... and it still sometimes get stuck with extra weights that are not actually attached, which is really dangerous if you're not careful).

The PowerBlocks I have go from 5 pounds to fifty. In the handle are two 2.5# metal cylinders which can be removed to make the 2.5 # adjustments. Then major adjustments are 10#s. you can go from 5 to 7.5 to 10 to 15 to 17.5 to 20 etc. You could also just hold the 2.5# cylinders in each hand to start at 2.5# before going to five (the empty handle).
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,085 Member
    lsutton484 wrote: »
    In the seemingly never ending quest to outfit my home gym I'm finding myself in need of some dumbbells but I don't have the money or more importantly the space for a giant rack of them.

I'm looking at powerblocks, bowflex, ironmasters, or plate loaded handles preferably olympic.

any experience or suggestions would be appreciated.

I am looking for the ability to expand past 50lbs.

Love my powerblocks. I have had them for decades and don't regret that purchase in any way. I have the ones that go up to 90 pounds.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »

@Francl27, I have the type you linked. I think my set is the one that has 105 lbs total. I like them and recommend them. If you ever decide to use a barbell for exercising, you can use the same plates on a standard (1") barbell.
  • northdog
    northdog Posts: 43 Member
    We have powerblocks too. Ours go up in 2.5 lb increments and max out at 75 lbs. each. I love them. It's very easy to adjust the weight. They also take up very little space which is important to me.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    I've had the Bowflex Selecttechs for 10 years now and I love them.

Not a fan of Powerblocks...they're just big and awkward IMO.

If I was in the market for adjustable dumbbells I would spend the extra $ and go with the Ironmasters - http://www.ironmaster.com/categories/dumbbells-kettlebells/
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    I use dumbbell handles and 1" plates. Very inexpensive & lots of flexibility with plates down to 1.25 lb. Got all of mine at Goodwill for less than .50 per lb. It might take a few visits to come across everything you need.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    I've have the bowflex adjustable Dumbbells for a year now and love them. Best money I've ever spent.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    I have powerblock - one of their models can also be adapted to make a barbell - so something to consider
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    We have the Selecttechs too (the 1090s that go up to 90 lbs each) and they're really easy to use. However, husband and I both have uncalloused office-worker hands and we find the grips pretty painful, so if you're not all calloused up already, you might want a pair of gloves too. It doesn't sound like you're a noob so that's probably not a problem for you, but I thought I should mention it in case anyone else is in the market...
  • dlm7507
    dlm7507 Posts: 237 Member
    @Francl27, I've got the 100 & 200 LB set. The 100 is mostly 5 LB plates, the 200 is mostly 10 LB plates. The 200 lets you do farmer's walks with 100 LBs in each hand which is enough for most people.
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    thanks for all the suggestions. I opted to use the olympic plates that i have on a set of handles for now. I have quite a few 5s and 10s so It should be a while before I outgrow them.

I know they can be awkward to use but I hope to overcome this.