Any tips for getting up early in the mornings?

Options
2»

Replies

• croftie4
    croftie4 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    What works for me is I just get up, I don't check my phone, or just think another 5 minutes or watch the news I just jump straight out of bed. Check the phone having coffee downstairs my mornings are much better for it
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Wash your face with cold water when you get up. Really helps shock the sleepy away.
  • birgitkwood
    birgitkwood Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I keep the automatic coffee maker, with timer, in the bedroom. Coffee maker is set to go off at 5:30am. I sit up in bed, drink my coffee, read the news on my phone, etc. When my mug of coffee is finished I get up, brush my teeth, get into my workout clothes and head out for an hour our more. It's a great way to start my days (but I've always been a morning person).
  • cessi0909
    cessi0909 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I literally forced myself and now I love it
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i just turned from a person who'd set out for work at 9:30 or so, into someone who leaves at 7:30 latest. my motivation is different. i've suddenly become super-stingy about all that glorious after-work time if you get in early enough to leave early too.

it's been a major shift but it's held for three months so far. still working out why it works, but so far i can think of two things. i don't turn on my computer in the am anymore, and i don't do my prep for the next day before i go to bed. what makes me leave on time is the fact that once i'm up i'm in motion. not vigorously, but i have things to do so i'm getting them done.

then when they're done there's nothing to do except go to work, really. so i leave. i have terrible trouble with transitions, i think it would destroy me neurologically to try and be one of those people who can hit the road 10 minutes after their feet hit the floor. but on the other end of the scale, using internet/reading/personal activities to ease myself into the day was sucking huge tracts of morning time too. so this is my compromise.
  • whatlunasaid
    whatlunasaid Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Make healthy habits as easy as possible so that the decision isn't so hard. Sleep in your workout clothes if they are comfortable enough. Sleep with a water bottle next to you so you can hydrate immediately upon waking. Have breakfast prepped so you're not worried about fuel or tempted to binge. And whatever workout you choose, start with one that doesn't require much thought. You should be able to do it in your sleep, at least at first, because you will still be sleepy for a while in the mornings.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Uggh I was getting up at 4:30 to workout before work, but the time change totally screwed me up and I haven't been able to get out of bed, its really bad because I hate working out when I get out of work, I have no motivation.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Some years back I used to put my alarm on the other side of the room so I'd have to get up to turn it off.

This, make sure it is loud, and get to bed early enough.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    If your dogs are anything like mine -- Make yourself get up early and walk them for a week. After that, they will never let you sleep in again. Puppy alarm clocks are cute but obnoxious. :)
  • Misspinklift
    Misspinklift Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I set a alarm. Even tho I don't have to wake up. I prepare everything out. I have my workout clothes on my night stand and they first thing I put on when I wake up.

Have a routine. It really does help.
  • LearningToFly13
    LearningToFly13 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Have kids. Problem solved
  • sarahbri923
    sarahbri923 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    For me, I can't think of getting up as optional or I'll fall back asleep. I think of it like my job - I wouldn't hit the snooze and sleep through work, so I can't do that through a workout either. Non-negotiable :)
  • Johncalvinfields
    Johncalvinfields Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Usually I listen to some music at night and try to clear my mind. Try to be in bed earlier than your normal routine and when the alarm clock sounds , go immediately to the shower . Between the morning shower and of course ( stout) brewed coffee ☕️ you will be ready to take on the world
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    It's funny I ive googled this a million times looking for tricks, made posts just like this on mfp and on Facebook and the only thing that really "works" is actually wanting to get up and just doing it. I prepare as much as possible the night before and then when morning comes I just get up
  • BrianAWeber
    BrianAWeber Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I've always been a morning person, so maybe this isn't relevant to anyone. Drinking and smoking affected my sleep, and when I gave up both I noticed that I would wake up refreshed and alert. I also don't drink anything with caffeine other than my morning coffee.
  • notquitecrazey
    notquitecrazey Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Drink a huge glass of water before bed. Maybe two or three. It makes it easier to wake up when the alarm goes off if you're dying to hit the head.
  • WanderingRivers
    WanderingRivers Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Some years back I used to put my alarm on the other side of the room so I'd have to get up to turn it off.

That's what I do. It can't be next to my bed or I'll just dismiss the notification on my phone without actually get ing out of bed.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Put your alarm clock across the room so you have to get up to reach it. Once it goes off,don't get back into bed. Sit on the floor if you have to, but don't get back in bed.