Question About BMR

Options
My BMR is 2131.3 because I am heavy. This is supposed to be the minimum number of calories I should eat for my body to function... no activity. Does this mean that it is unhealthy for me to eat fewer than this? I've been trying to cut calories to 1400 or so a day, and I just was wondering if anyone knows if this will slow my metabolism drastically or alter my health in some other horrifying way?

Replies

• DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    What do you think your TDEE is?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Your BMR is the number of calories your body burns in a day with no activity whatsoever. It isn't the minimum you must eat.

Realistically if you're not in a coma you'll burn more just from getting up to use the bathroom.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to lose to a healthy weight, then 1800/day would be roughly 300 calories under your BMR. Since any activity burns additional calories eating at 1800/day would likely produce 1/wk of weight loss or close to it. In your shoes, I would start there because you will be less hungry than at 1400 and more likely to stick with the plan.
    Good luck on your journey.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    What do you think your TDEE is?

This. Your total daily energy expenditure takes into account your BMR plus any activity. Even if you lead a largely sedentary lifestyle, even minimal activity (walking from your car to your job) will expend energy.

In order to lose weight, your body needs to burn more calories than it consumes. Thus, it's not "unhealthy" for your daily caloric intake to be less than your TDEE.

Determine the TDEE associated with your goal weight, and gradually ramp your daily caloric intake down to that amount.