Calories?

Hi I'm new to this app,
I'm currently 10st 6.6lbs and want to drop down to 10st, on here it says my calorie intake is 1,200 calories, the only exercise I have got today is pottering around cleaning and looking after my little one, will I lose weight with this calorie diet and hardly any exercise?
Also what does it mean by if you burn 300 calories you need to then eat an extra 300 calories? Doesn't that defeat the object? Confused...
Thanks

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Assuming your information is entered correctly, MFP has given you a calorie goal that should put you at a deficit and will result in weight loss. That goal doesn't include any extra exercise and that's why you get calories when you log additional exercise. It doesn't defeat the purpose because you're already eating at a calorie goal that should result in weight loss.

The only thing to be cautious about is that some database entries for exercise are over-estimates. To keep from eating back too many calories, sometimes people eat back just a portion (say 50-75%) until they figure out how accurate it is for them.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    MFP calculates your target cals based on your sex, age, weight, and activity level*. If you eat the calories allocate - even without exercise you'll lose weight.

If you exercise you can record that and MFP will give you more calories for that day - The MFP staff recommend that you eat these but many people report that this slows weight loss and that they eat only half of exercise cals. I assume this is mainly because of the inaccuracies in logging exercise.

*Note - for women MFP will not allow a calorie target of less than 1200 cals per day.
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 799 Member
    If you're that close to your goal you should probably set you rate of loss to .5-1lb. MFP gives you a calorie goal that will cause you to lose weight without exercise and does not account for workout calories so when you exercise you're causing even more deficit and should eat some of it back. Most ppl choose to eat 25-50% of the calories MFP gives for exercise. I go by my exercise bike's count which is usually around 60% of what MFP would've given me for the same amount of exercise. You can manually change the amount of calories so if it gives you 400 cals for your exercise and you choose to eat half then you can change it to 200 so it adds 200 cals to the amount of food you should eat:)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    1200 is the lowest DEFAULT minimum.....so yes you will lose weight.

Most women get 1200 (before exercise) because they chose an aggressive weekly weight loss goal. If you are very petite or elderly, 1200 is appropriate. If you log exercise & earn calories.....yes you are meant to eat those too. However, calorie burns are estimates (often generous). Most people start by eating back 50% of their exercise calories. Then adjust that % up or down over time based on actual results.

The object of exercise is to improve your fitness & health. It's something you want to do for the rest of your life. Not a tool for (more) aggressive weight loss. Aggressive weight loss makes it harder for your body to support existing lean muscle mass.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    If you're that close to your goal you should probably set you rate of loss to .5-1lb.

Good point!!

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    fernlisaj8 wrote: »
    Hi I'm new to this app,
    I'm currently 10st 6.6lbs and want to drop down to 10st, on here it says my calorie intake is 1,200 calories, the only exercise I have got today is pottering around cleaning and looking after my little one, will I lose weight with this calorie diet and hardly any exercise?
    Also what does it mean by if you burn 300 calories you need to then eat an extra 300 calories? Doesn't that defeat the object? Confused...
    Thanks

If you run out of gas in the car, do you keep going on an empty tank? Eating exercise calories makes loss sustainable and fuels your body.

MFP's calorie goal has the deficit factored in already. So to prevent from undereating, you should eat your exercise calories (or a portion of them) to keep from malnutrition.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    fernlisaj8 wrote: »
    Hi I'm new to this app,
    Thanks

What is the object that it defeats?

To get healthier? Exercise does more to improve your health than weight loss does.

To look more attractive? Exercise will keep you from just looking like skin and bones.

To lose weight? Without exercise, weight loss involves reducing your eating to the point where your meals are more like snacks. With exercise, you can eat a full meal and still lose weight.
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    You will lose weight as long as you're in a deficit you don't have to workout but working out a combination of strength training and cardio will help you have a better looking body!