Water retention

Options
Last month was the first time I started running outside of Orangetheory. Before March I would go to Orangetheory about 3-4 times a week, and just relax on the days I wasn't going. Since March started, I have added running to the mix, twice a week. I usually run about 3-4 miles those two days. My question is, by adding the running, will it cause my muscles to retain water even though I have been doing Orangetheory since November?

Replies

• PoundChaser2
    PoundChaser2 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I would think yes your adding more activity.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Yes but it'll be temporary ie will last a few weeks and then it'll go... whoosh :smiley:
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,989 Member
    Options
    Possibly. I exercise a lot on the weekends and retain water ... but on Wednesdays I lose it.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Hunh? Exercise makes you retain water?! I've literally never known this!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    DamieBird wrote: »

Yes...exercise breaks down and "damages" muscle tissue...the body retains water to aid in repair of that tissue...much the same way you you retain fluids when you have an injury and inflammation.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Yes...exercise breaks down and "damages" muscle tissue...the body retains water to aid in repair of that tissue...much the same way you you retain fluids when you have an injury and inflammation.

So, do you just always retain water if you work out daily? Does that become the body's new "normal"? Also - following the logic of water retention aiding in repairing muscle tissue, do you retain more after weight training than you do after cardio?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

So, do you just always retain water if you work out daily? Does that become the body's new "normal"? Also - following the logic of water retention aiding in repairing muscle tissue, do you retain more after weight training than you do after cardio?

If you're progressively challenging yourself, yes...it's not fat, so it's not really a big deal. I can't say either way with cardio or weight training...it just is what it is.
  • jessicalferrara
    jessicalferrara Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the input! Hopefully it will go away this week!
  • jayeason
    jayeason Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I drink a gallon of water everyday...6 days out of the week. Your body will not retain water weight if you are replenishing your body with water every day.

The only time your body retains water if it is not getting enough water, your body will also hold onto water depending on your daily sodium intake.