Doing a Sprint Triathlon Cold Turkey?

Options
AJ_G
AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
I've never done a triathlon before but I've always wanted to, there are a few triathlons coming up in So Cal in September and October and I'm thinking about doing one. Do you think a sprint triathlon is doable without any training? I'm not worried about the half mile swim at all, I'm a very strong swimmer and I've been swimming all my life, so that is not an issue, I just don't know how much energy I'll have by the time I get to the run. For those who don't know, a sprint triathlon is a half mile swim, a 10-12 mile bike ride, and a 3 mile run. Thoughts?

Replies

• EastFork
    EastFork Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Go for it. The worst case is you have to walk all or part of the 3 miles. No shame in that. But really, do a practice event and see.
  • Aprilxlirpa
    Aprilxlirpa Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have no advice to help you, but want to give you support as Im in the same boat. Never done one before, signed up for a sprint distance one on Sept 22. I did a generic google search and am using this training sched. Good luck to the both of us, and kudos for getting out there! http://www.trinewbies.com/tno_trainingprograms/10wtp.pdf
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    September/October is tons of time. There are 12 week "to finish" training plans. It's definitely doable, especially since you are a strong swimmer, to me once I get out of the water the rest is managable. If you have no energy for the run, walk.
    Before I did my first one I didn't really "train". I was overweight and out of shape. I had joined a swim club in January and learned to swim properly. I decided to go for it anyway. I was going one or two bike rides a week and maybe 2 runs leading up the race. I finished. Last, but I finished. (That was 4 years ago).

I say go for it.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'm going to assume that your level of fitness will allow for a 90 minute event.

The art of triathlon is pacing, not blowing all of your energy reserves on one event.

Get at least a couple of bricks in before the event. No matter how fit you are it's a bit comical the first time you do a moderately hard 20km ride followed by a 5km run. The bricks will mentally prepare you for it (more than anything I've found that you're a little wobbly for the first couple of hundred metres of the run - just pace yourself)

Watch some of the videos on youtube re: transitions - at least mentally rehearse (or even better set up for T2 when you're doing your bricks) so that you develop a bit of a routine. It's just one less thing to worry about on race day.

Most importantly.....have fun!
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Are you a pool swimmer or an open water swimmer because the 2 are completely different.

I am an excellent pool swimmer - very strong. Open water I tend to panic and am not quite as strong. So I would suggest if you are only a pool swimmer you hit the open water as the last I checked most triathlons happen in open water.
  • AZMonika
    AZMonika Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I did my first sprint tri without specific tri training. It was loads of fun, but I was already pretty fit. I think it depends on your current fitness level. If you never workout at all and your cardio fitness is crap, I'd say it may not be a good idea. But if you perform cardio and strength training and are currently active, I'd go for it!!

The thing I learned about myself with the first tri...I didn't realize how important to me my TIME was in the end!! I really pushed myself hard-- harder than what I was prepared for, and I worried about people I knew checking out my final time online!! LOL I know it's stupid and I shouldn't give a rip--but hey, whatever motivates us!!

Best of luck!
  • juliep1974
    juliep1974 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I would agree with the others - you have plenty of time to train so go for it! Open water swimming is a whole different beast to pool swimming so I'd strongly encourage you to get out there. On race day you'll also have at least 50 other people swimming with you which leads to being knocked around a little, I'm a comfortable swimmer and there are moments I start to get panicky.

Also, the advice about bricks is great - do at least one or two :) Good luck!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Are you a pool swimmer or an open water swimmer because the 2 are completely different.

I am an excellent pool swimmer - very strong. Open water I tend to panic and am not quite as strong. So I would suggest if you are only a pool swimmer you hit the open water as the last I checked most triathlons happen in open water.

Totally agree. Open water is a whole other ball game.
  • Zaria_Athena
    Zaria_Athena Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you could finish

- Definitely do some bricks
    - Think about what you are going to wear and test it out. You may have all the endurance in the world but if your clothing choices are making you uncomfortable then you will be miserable.
    - If you haven't done any open water swimming then do it.
    - Pace yourself so you aren't out of gas for the run