Motivation

Options
How do you get the motivation to go to the gym/work out when you really, really, really don't want to? What do you personally do when your motivation is at rock bottom?

Replies

• taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'll skip the workout and concentrate on fueling/eating appropriately for the day resolving that I cannot skip the next workout/gym session. (easier to recover a lost gym day than work-off excessive feeds, right?)
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    First off: make it a high probability.

I hate the modern gyms. You've got to get to one, either drive or use transportation, rarely are they in walking distance. People are there and of course using the equipment you want to use. This is a low probability of success to me. Maybe for others its not.

I workout at home. My weights and dvds are right there. I have to look past them every time I walk into my flat. I consider this a high probability of success depending on how hard is the workout dvd.
  • jnomadica
    jnomadica Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Here's what I do:
    -My gym times are scheduled and I treat them like I would any appointment- go on time.
    -Once a week I go with a friend which makes it something I really look forward to.
    -I remind myself how great I feel afterwards and how much I could use the stress relief.
    -Those times where I am truly exhausted, I stay home and take care of myself another way (e.g. a nap!).
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Find something you love to do at the gym. Love! Then you won't want to skip a day. Try out a few different classes and new exercises.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Motivation is fleeting and is not a good engine to depend upon to keep you consistent. Make a decision that this is the way it is, and go. Like brushing your teeth--you don't talk yourself into doing that, you just do it. Gym day? Go.

I need to follow my own advice because I keep talking myself out of it too. And, it doesn't have to do with hating what I do at the gym. I actually love what I do at the gym. It's strange, really. I lost my uumph to go regularly, and by god, it's hard to get back. I hear ya. Any other secret tricks, I'm all ears. But really, it comes down to making a decision that this is what you're going to do, no room for wiggling out of it.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Motivation is good for starting. you need Determination to continue. How do I go to the gym or complete my run when I really etc. don't want to? The same way I get myself to work each and every day. It's (work) what I do to feed my family and live inside of doors. My exercise, gym and running, is what I do to keep fit and healthy. I do it because I want to and it's good for me. Make up your mind that this is what you want to do and go do it. If you're waiting to be "motivated" every day, you'll fail. It isn't going to happen. You will have to get your rear to the gym when you don't want to, and you may not enjoy that days session. You do your workout on schedule because you are determined to better yourself. Motivation is good for starting and competitions. Not day to day activities.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    ditditdee wrote: »
    How do you get the motivation to go to the gym/work out when you really, really, really don't want to? What do you personally do when your motivation is at rock bottom?

How do you do that for going to work?