May sound a bit silly but is it safe to have 3 meal replacement shakes a day no snacking

Options
2»

Replies

• rachelleelsie3898
    rachelleelsie3898 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    @amusedmonkey I do take multivitamin. And I do only consume 2 shakes a day. It was just a curious question. Trust me I don't want to lose weight that quick to put it all back on again but deciding to eat. Lol
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Snacks are ok as long as they fit into your daily calorie plan.
    Two to three shakes a day is o.k.

You do not need that much water/fluids.
    Six to 8 cups is enough for most people.
    Check the color of your urine for how much fluid you need.
    Also this: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    It will work if it puts you in a calorie deficit however you will be missing out on fibre, micronutrients and it is likely to be very unsatisfying to consume 80% of you calories in liquid form.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Questions about meal replacements, calories and water intake have been answered, so on to the next: Clean meal means nothing. Just eat food.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I wonder how much protein is in the shakes. Probably not anywhere near enough.

And I also wonder why even ask the question if this isn't something you're thinking of doing.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I wonder how much protein is in the shakes. Probably not anywhere near enough.

And I also wonder why even ask the question if this isn't something you're thinking of doing.

Found the shake. Protein is good, but very low on fat and fiber (only 2 grams each). From what I understand it was just a curiosity regarding something stated on the shake bottle.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Whatever you eat, it needs to fit the macros appropriate to your activity level/body. Sounds like they're low in fat. Personally I'd rather have all my hair and nice skin vs an extra few lbs of weight loss so I'd be more inclined to include fat and fibre from actual food, but that's just me
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    This just sounds quite dreadful in all sense of the word and 5-6 liters of water?

You drink 2 shakes a day now and a clean meal (???).. this sounds like very very little calories for the day. Do three shakes and definitely not enough calories..

The instructions on these packages would love for you to drink as many of these as they say you can so you keep buying them..

Oh well two shakes a day still sounds dreadful and extreme.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    3 meal replacement a day NO snacking and 5-6litres of water a day.
    @amusedmonkey the calorie intake is 202.how much intake of water should I be taking I thought 5-6litres was acceptable. Apparently not.

The plan presented in the op with the detail of calorie amount (606 calories total) would indicate an unsafe unsustainable plan.
    There are quick foods that can help meet calorie and nutrition goals better than shakes.

Water intake is much higher than most would need. 2-3 L should be enough.
    Too much water could lead to hyponatremia.
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/water/art-20044256
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    @Christine_72 please see my other comments I am not consuming 3 shakes a day I consume 2 plus a clean meal for dinner & I drink a lot of water because I don't snack & to be honest I love water.

I mean you can't get mad at people answering your original question. We get you only drink two a day, but you asked about 3 with no other food, which is what people are talking about.

Also if you are drinking just 2 a day, and only dinner, you maybe be way under your calories and nutrition anyways. Do you have a sample of you what your dinner is? What is MFP's recommendation for calories a day? Are you active? Are you eating back an exercise calories?

• Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    A meal replacement shake would be better than protein alone but wholefoods are nutrient dense than an isolated one. You need micronutrients too don't forget.

5-6 litres of water! You can die from too much fluid intake as the brain swells.

Bodybuilding requires balance and from what you've said, you are far from it and practicing dangerously.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    If you want to do this, you need a product designed to do it. The only one I know of is Soylent:
    https://www.soylent.com/

Their products are designed to be nutritionally complete and you can live off them if you choose to. I don't know why you would, but if you're considering such an extreme plan, that's what I would recommend to stay safe.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    It may work for a little while but it's not sustainable.

For this to work it has to be something that's going to be sustainable or you're going to go back to your old habits. It's a matter of educating yourself as far as food and how it affects your body
  • JstTheWayIam
    JstTheWayIam Posts: 6,357 Member
    Options
    Maybe for a few days... Make sure you pack in lots of fruits and veggies in your shake...

Don't expect to keep off anything you lost over those few days...
  • rjan91
    rjan91 Posts: 194 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Years ago -liquid diets were in fashion and people developed severe magnesium deficits. This can cause lethal heart arrhythmias. Please be careful to supplement your electrolytes - but I will also add this is not the best idea!
  • kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Safe? Would probably be best to talk to a doctor about it.

In terms of practicality - you would probably find it's VERY difficult to be on a liquid-only diet.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Well, if the OP is considering this for time savings perhaps we can offer some alternatives.

Breakfast can be toast with PB and milk, or Greek yogurt and fruit.

There's the healthy choice steamers, sandwiches, wraps, and soup.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    :o