Losing Weight and Running

Options
Hi guys, I have a question about losing weight whilst not compromising any running gainz. A little bit of background first - I lost 78lb with MFP about two years ago, and was 20lb shy of my goal. I've put back on about 14lb since then. My problem? I started running - a C25K programme to start with, then I carried on. I found that as I trained up to my ultimate goal of running 3 10ks a week (run-commuting) I wasn't feeling so good with the losing weight. So I stupidly stopped tracking.

As it is, other health niggles have kept me from my running goal as well. So I'm in the unenviable position of having 30+lbs still to lose, but am only managing about 15k a week running, all told. I want to be running those 3 10ks a week by the end of the summer, but not at the expense of any more weight gain. Any weight loss would also be a plus.

So, does anyone have any advice / links to good articles on maintaining that balance?

Many thanks!

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I don't have an article link but I would suggest using a smaller deficit than you did when dieting previously. People say that 1-2 lbs a week is safe, which it is, but there's no reason why you can't choose to lose more slowly. If you aimed at a half pound a week you'd likely be thisclose to goal one year from now.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. I experience runger a lot as I am half marathon training so long run days and the day after I can eat the whole world. I'm only running 100 calorie deficit because of that.

Running less than 10k at a time I wouldn't have thought would cause too much runger, though maybe you need to look at your macros? I need a good amount of protein and a lot of fat to keep me full!

Set your deficit to lose half a pound a week and see how you get on.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    What are your running workouts? Perhaps adding in some higher calorie burns - intervals, hill workouts - will shake up your body a bit, if currently you run the same pace, same miles ... also, though you would need to be patient and not focus on the numbers on the scale quite as much, it might be good to add a little compound lift strength training in. That burns calories over a longer period of time and does a lot to shape a person up, while strengthen the core muscles and making you a stronger runner ...

I also am a runner with a bit more to lose - it's important because those extra pounds are landing on the joints with every step. Ouch.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Even at a small deficit you will lose weight. Also, how you feel when you run may have as much or more to do with the timing of your meals as it does with the calorie deficit.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    It's going to take trial and error. Smaller deficit, carbs near your runs, adjusting macros & foods to find satiety.
  • schellies
    schellies Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Maybe need to up hydration. Sometimes it could be a macro change or carb cycling to get things moving again.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Losing 30lbs will make running easier so focus on weight loss now rather than your running performance.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I am currently half marathon training so I am using a smaller deficit. A half a pound a week goal is much easier on your energy levels and running performance. A slower weight loss is still a loss. :)

I also "bank" some calories during the week for the day after my long runs. I turn into a bottomless pit of hunger on those days.
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    So the take away is maintain a small deficit, banking an allowance for a little more for after longer runs (if I need them). Look at my macros if that's not working. Maintain hydration!

I'm running about two 5ks a week, plus a longer run (working up to 10K), which will then segue into one 5K, one 10K and the up-to-10K run, finally finishing with two 10Ks and the up-to-10K run. This is more about me developing a good run-commute, rather than any increase in speed, although I hope that the speed will increase with the weightloss!

Many thanks for all your replies, you're awesome!
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    Don't let running be an excuse to overeat. It's so easy when people tell you "you're a runner...you can eat whatever you want." Not true. I love this saying - You Can't Outrun a Bad Diet!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I'm still aiming to lose 10lbs or so, BUT am also working towards my first HM. I found that if I aimed for a large deficit, my running suffered and I experienced a fair amount of fatigue.

I have reduced my deficit to a very small amount 50-100 calories, but I work on a rolling average - so days I run I tend to eat more to fuel my runs. I find after a run I can really struggle getting satisfied so have to plan protein protein protein!!

I'm losing very very slowly, but I AM still losing. Better still I'm getting healthier and my running is improving. I have also found that focussing on lots of vegetables and healthy foods (with the odd glass of wine here and there) does more for my overall energy levels than just sticking to a calorie limit. So up the nutrition, reduce the deficit, maintain the consistency. Oh and get plenty of sleep.
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Agree with what others have said - particularly about hydration.

I started running last summer and still generally aim for a 500kcal daily deficit, but make sure I have at least one or two maintenance days a week to refuel! I tend to look more at averages though so although I eat more on running days my net calories are usually lower than non-running days.

One thing I do whenever possible for shorter runs (<1hr) is to coordinate my running with meal times so that I'm eating breakfast/lunch/dinner very soon after my run. That way I find I don't end up double dipping and overeating as a result. For longer runs I tend to burn enough calories that I don't mind having an extra (smaller) meal. Make sure you're getting a decent carb/protein mix in your post-run meal so as to refuel appropriately. Rehydrate properly as well to stop phantom hunger which is actually thirst-related.

Good luck building your running up where you want it to be!
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    When I was training for a marathon I was running about 25 mikes a week. After each run is eat a huge cinnamon bun and cup of coffee. I lost zero pounds during that 3 month time, but was trying to either. It was interesting to me that I managed to perfectly eat back my exercise calories, with one cinnamon bun!!
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    ^^ love that. I just ran my marathon and could not (but didn't try too hard) lose my weight. Now - three weeks out, I'm running 3-5 miles a day with a long run on the weekend, interval training, and weight is coming off. For me ... intensity helps.