How do you know when you're doing too much?

Options
LenGray
LenGray Posts: 842 Member
Hi everyone! So I've made a plan for running 3x/week and doing a bodyweight routine 3x/week with a rest day on Sunday. Neither of the workouts I do are overly strenuous, but they challenge me. Today when I woke up I was pretty sore. I don't notice it much when I'm sitting or laying down but standing and walking makes me aware of all the little aches and pains.

I'm supposed to go for a run this morning, but I'm worried that I might be overdoing it since I've only been working out sporadically in the past few months. I mean, I think it's just DOMS, but I don't want to set myself up for injury either, you know?

So my question is, how do you know when you're exercising too much for your level of fitness?

Replies

• CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    My guidelines: Pain is sharp and ugly. Sore makes you feel alive. Muscles get sore, joints hurt.

If you've been working out sporadically, any resistance program (including body weight) will produce DOMS.

if you think it's DOMS, get your cardio today. It'll help.
  • genpopadopolous
    genpopadopolous Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    DOMS will feel better after a run.

If it's sharp doesn't feel better when you warm up, stop. Otherwise, get out there!!
  • LenGray
    Options
    Thanks for the quick replies! It's a dull soreness (reminds me of how I felt the first time I went horseback riding!), so I'll warm-up and see how I'm feeling :)

If it ever is sharp, would you recommend that I not do anything at all that day or do something light, like stretching or yoga, and RICE until it's no longer sharp?
  • TheAlexMarkov
    TheAlexMarkov Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi LenGray,
    you need to take into consideration your fitness level and experience - are you new, how long have you been doing this etc?

I can tell you for a fact: starting too aggressively is a sure way to get injured - you need to think about the above questions and go from there. Please do not push thru the pain - it is a very short term approach.

Hope this helps,
    Alex
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    If it's sharp, then you've probably injured something. Probably, but not definitely. At that point, it would be a good idea to get checked out by a professional.

Dull soreness sounds like DOMS. So, yeah - light warmup, slowly increasing (I sometimes find DOMS don't feel much better until a significant load is applied) and see how it goes. Maybe, instead of a run, a long walk might be good. Note: that's not me advising you to not run, just an alternative.
  • LenGray
    Options
    Well, I decided that since it's my day off, I would just take some extra time. I stretched for a bit longer (and slower) and then went for a slower run. I'm feeling pretty good now and the muscle soreness is gone :) I'll take it easy the rest of the day and hopefully be back to full speed tomorrow for my bodyweight routine. Thanks for the help, everyone!

If anyone has anything else to add on this topic, feel free! I'm a beginner so I can always use more advice!
  • breckanridge
    breckanridge Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    For me, when it's DOMS I find that the soreness lessens when I do cardio (good warmup is key) because it gets all the blood pumping and my stiff muscles working.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    LenGray wrote: »
    Hi everyone! So I've made a plan for running 3x/week and doing a bodyweight routine 3x/week with a rest day on Sunday. Neither of the workouts I do are overly strenuous, but they challenge me. Today when I woke up I was pretty sore. I don't notice it much when I'm sitting or laying down but standing and walking makes me aware of all the little aches and pains.

I'm supposed to go for a run this morning, but I'm worried that I might be overdoing it since I've only been working out sporadically in the past few months. I mean, I think it's just DOMS, but I don't want to set myself up for injury either, you know?

So my question is, how do you know when you're exercising too much for your level of fitness?

I get rungry, ALL the time, fatigued, no energy...
  • fitbethlin
    fitbethlin Posts: 162 Member
    Options

I get rungry, ALL the time, fatigued, no energy...

I have never heard this word before. How is that even possible?!? I love it! Perfect word.

Now, what's the word for "I did circuit training this morning and now I need to sleep for another 9 hours today."