Removing caffeine

Options
I think I'm addicted to caffeine and removing it from my life right now. Anyone else felt they had this issue and removed it? If so, could you share with me the differences you experienced after consuming it after a while?

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I am a complete addict. I have cut caffeine a few times. Going cold turkey causes horrible headaches. I would suggest cutting back slowly. The withdrawal is much easier. I am currently down to 2 12 oz. cups a day which is a good place for me.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I am completely addicted to the amount I consume a day..

But nevah go cold turkey.. taper it back slowly. you will thank me for this advice.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I used to drink anywhere between 10 and 15 espressos a night. Prior to that, I would drink 4-5 litres of Coke a day. I'm now drinking one coffee in the morning, and maybe a Coke Zero. Cutting right back, I got headaches and man, was I a bitca. Headaches passed after a few days, painkillers and lots of water helped.
  • ZodFit
    ZodFit Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I realized I had an addiction, so I just embraced it and drank more.

Jahahahaha
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I was drinking 3-4 doubles a day.... Decided to stop for a while and had none for about 4 months.

No effects from stopping... But I don't get a buzz from caffeine, I drink it because I like the taste. I've started drinking it again, but usually only 1 double a day. Sometimes 2...
  • ZodFit
    Options
    Thanks Rosie. Baby steps like Bill Murray
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    Way back when I was drinking about 15 cups of coffee a day.

Stopped cold turkey for 3 weeks. Evidently I was almost unbearable. I just remember suddenly being aware that everyone was doing wrong stuff. I did think it was odd when my boss brought a coffee one day and told me to drink it.

However, after 3 weeks, I started drinking caffeine again and have since, but only about 2-5 cups a day. :)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I went cold turkey and DO NOT recommend that at all. I ended up sleeping 18-20 hours a day. What I did instead is started taking caffeine pills so I could function while weaning myself off (Walgreen's Stay Awake are pretty cheap). Each pill is the equivalent of 2 cups of coffee so I started taking 2 pills. After a week or so, I took 1-1/2, then 1, then 1/2, then none. I did find I was a bit lethargic in the morning after totally being off caffeine so I did start having 2 regular size or one jumbo coffee in the morning but no other caffeine during the day. I chose to do the pills instead of cutting down on caffeinated beverages so I caan control exactly how much caffeine I was getting.

If I don't get my morning caffeine, I do get a bit tired but it isn't bad like it used to be. Caffeine used to affect my sleep so limiting myself to only having it in the morning has helped that.

Since caffeine is no longer considered bad, I have been having trouble finding caffeine free beverages. There isn't much of a selection of coffee and tea anymore and a couple of my favorite sodas no longer come in caffeine free versions. There frequently is no option for something that is both diet and caffeine free in a restaurant. A few will have diet Sprite but that is it. Most fast food places have nothing.
  • MessyApron
    MessyApron Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Just this week I decided to switch from coffee to tea, and so far it's a gentle transition. Tea still has caffeine, but it's a lower amount and, for some reason, tea caffeine never makes me tense or jittery like coffee caffeine.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I think I'm addicted to caffeine and removing it from my life right now. Anyone else felt they had this issue and removed it? If so, could you share with me the differences you experienced after consuming it after a while?

I struggle with this back and forth. I drink way too much. For a while it was making my breath stink and I realized that switching to black coffee helped immensely. Also helped with calorie control. I drink, on average, 5 kcups a day of strong coffee (cafe bustelo espresso estilo) in addition to the caffiene in my fat burners.

I have from time to time replacing a cup here and there with either black tea or herbal tea depending on my mood, and this seems to help with over all caffiene consumption for me. This seems to be only and last substance I am addicted to. I quit cigarettes over a year ago, but dropping coffee.... is much harder. Mostly because of headaches and lethargy from having less.
  • nrbutton
    nrbutton Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I completely quit caffeine when we were trying for this last baby, only took 2 weeks to get pregnant. I didn't have any caffeine for the first 3 months, allowed myself 1 cup of coffee a day the remainder of the pregnancy. My fatigue and appetite were horrible. I gained 30 lbs in the first trimester alone, 85 lbs total for the pregnancy.

Caffeine is a very helpful appetite suppressor for me so I have no plans to cut it out unless I need to. I'm actually not a big coffee person :) I just like caffeine. I take 2 no doz in the morning and 2 in the afternoon.

Am I addicted? Yup. Considering some of the other addictions I've had and successfully quit, I have no plans of giving up this one
  • TheChaoticBuffalo
    TheChaoticBuffalo Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I used to drink Dr. Pepper - 8 to 12 cans a day, depending on the kind of day I was having - at work. Didn't drink it at home very often and almost never on the weekends. Probably the reason I had frequent weekend headaches back then. About three years ago, I decided I needed to cut out the caffeine, so I did. Replaced the Dr. Pepper with bottles of water mixed with Hawaiian Punch powder. Food and drink intake for me is very much about the taste, so I needed something in the water to replace the taste I was losing by cutting out the Dr. Pepper. Anyway, I was off the caffeine cold turkey at that point. The first week, I experienced headaches and a reduction of energy during the day, but after that, everything was fine. I still have a Dr. Pepper every once in a while when I really, really, really crave that particular flavor, but I've never really wanted to resume the caffeine intake.
  • ZodFit
    Options
    Thank you all for your posts. So I think I'm just going to ease off my intake...i have a little acid reflux so caffeine is bad for that...also I knew I notice reduction of energy when I tried to stop cold turkey. It's this lethargy and headaches ugh...i guess moderation is key.

• ZodFit
    Options
    Good job on

I struggle with this back and forth. I drink way too much. For a while it was making my breath stink and I realized that switching to black coffee helped immensely. Also helped with calorie control. I drink, on average, 5 kcups a day of strong coffee (cafe bustelo espresso estilo) in addition to the caffiene in my fat burners.

I have from time to time replacing a cup here and there with either black tea or herbal tea depending on my mood, and this seems to help with over all caffiene consumption for me. This seems to be only and last substance I am addicted to. I quit cigarettes over a year ago, but dropping coffee.... is much harder. Mostly because of headaches and lethargy from having less.

Good on you. Quitting tabacoo probably makes caffeine withdrawals seem like a joke. Good on you !
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    nrbutton wrote: »
    I completely quit caffeine when we were trying for this last baby, only took 2 weeks to get pregnant. I didn't have any caffeine for the first 3 months, allowed myself 1 cup of coffee a day the remainder of the pregnancy. My fatigue and appetite were horrible. I gained 30 lbs in the first trimester alone, 85 lbs total for the pregnancy.

Caffeine is a very helpful appetite suppressor for me so I have no plans to cut it out unless I need to. I'm actually not a big coffee person :) I just like caffeine. I take 2 no doz in the morning and 2 in the afternoon.

Am I addicted? Yup. Considering some of the other addictions I've had and successfully quit, I have no plans of giving up this one

I'm kind of similar to you. I've actually increased my caffeine consumption because caffeine is an appetite suppressant for me, as well. I've been able to replace snacking with a cup of coffee. This saves more calories for my evening meal, which is something that makes me very happy. :)
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I found that peppermint tea gives me a little boost without the caffeine. It is my afternoon drink now.
  • sandininja
    sandininja Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    when i worked night shifts, i drank two amps a shift. i also had horrible migraines. i gradually weaned myself off caffeine entirely and had significantly fewer headaches. now i can get out of bed and be functional instead of needing coffee or an energy drink before interacting with anyone, so thats another plus ;)
  • bluedusk27
    bluedusk27 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Is there a way to track your caffiene in MFP?