Tracking calories burned for a workout

Options
Hi!

I just completed a shoulder workout on jetfit. I manually inserted my workout into my MFP diary, but I have no idea how to calculate calories burned. Any suggestions?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Just use a general category and MFP will provide a guesstimate. Categories like strength training, circuit training, aerobics, yoga, etc.
  • TheRambler
    TheRambler Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Thanks tea!
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Ugh, guesstimating the calories burned is awful. I've found that MFP over exaggerates calories burned and I don't have a fancy chest strap heart rate monitor so I too must estimate. I do the same as suggested - look it up in MFP and then I lower it. Good luck and keep it up
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    It's calories in and calories out ... my concern is that I'll over eat my calories out (based on the gestimates) and that I will sabotage myself. So, I don't include the energy expended any more.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,126 Member
    Options
    If this was a strength training workout, the calories burned are not going to be that much, especially if this was a shoulder workout as you mentioned. I personally wouldn't log any calories for it.
  • TheRambler
    TheRambler Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I figured it won't be much, I'm just trying to be consistent in logging. Whether it's food or any form of exercise. I find that if I don't go all in, I tend to get distracted.