Stationary Bike - What The Pedal!

2»

Replies

• TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 799 Member
    I use mine daily! I've never had good strong ankles and my arches can get really painful if walking too long or running for sure. Exercise bike is my cardio of choice. I ride almost daily anywhere from 30-90 min depending on my schedule. You can even do high intensity interval training on the bike for weight loss. It's something I've recently tried incorporatinf after reading how it's great for weight loss. You would probably want to get used to ridding the bike first and when it feels like it's getting easy bump up to hiit. Warm up for 5-10 min then I increase my resistance to level 3 and go as fast and hard as I can for a min then go back to level one intensity for 2 min still riding around 14-16mph then repeat for 15-20min. It definitely gets my heart rate up and thoroughly wears me out;)
  • UK2ME
    UK2ME Posts: 15 Member
    Although the caloric burn might not be as high as running minute for minute, the nice thing about riding a bike (be it stationary or a real one) is that it's non-weight bearing. If you are prone to shin splints or problems when you hammer on your lower joints, riding a bike is a great way to get started on some activity. Yes, if you do it enough it will tone muscle, but it's definitely a good cardio activity for fat burning too.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    It's one kind of cardio. If you trial a gym, try different machines. You might like the bike, or the elliptical, or the rowing machine. Make sure you have something to entertain yourself - some gyms have TV screens on the equipment (bring headphones) or you can bring your phone with music or an audio book. Gym cardio is really, really, really boring if you don't have something to watch or listen to. :)
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    I ride the stationary bike (recumbent bike with the pedals in front, seat back) at our apartment gym every day after work for 30-45 mins. It gets my HR up into the target zone fairly quickly, I'm able to do calorie burning workouts on it just by selecting the different programs, and it'll do interval training as well. So far so good. I can't walk on a treadmill or jog (I have horrible knees) so this is the next best thing to swimming laps (our pool is still far too cold for that). Good luck!
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    I use mine daily! I've never had good strong ankles and my arches can get really painful if walking too long or running for sure. Exercise bike is my cardio of choice. I ride almost daily anywhere from 30-90 min depending on my schedule. You can even do high intensity interval training on the bike for weight loss. It's something I've recently tried incorporatinf after reading how it's great for weight loss. You would probably want to get used to ridding the bike first and when it feels like it's getting easy bump up to hiit. Warm up for 5-10 min then I increase my resistance to level 3 and go as fast and hard as I can for a min then go back to level one intensity for 2 min still riding around 14-16mph then repeat for 15-20min. It definitely gets my heart rate up and thoroughly wears me out;)

This! doing interval training does help you burn fat. I tried the recumbent bike but it hurt my bad hip so I prefer the upright bike. Glad it is stationary as I am sure I would fall off a real one! I have noticed my legs getting stronger. I try to up the resistance a bit every time I go...