Don't Stress the Stalls! Use this to help from being frustrated

Options
JohnnyLowCarb
JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
edited April 2017 in Success Stories
You don't have to go as crazy as I do, but do track your weight. Weekly is my preferred tracking, but I do note daily in MFP. I have found some interesting trends when looking at my results. During periods of perceived stalls, I get frustrated, vent on MFP - but I went back and looked at the tracking. I can see my pattern is 3 weeks of loss, 3 weeks of stall, followed by 3 weeks of loss. Knowing this will certainly calm me down going forward. I also will expect this pattern to change, but will look to the data before getting frustrated. I hope this helps anyone who feels the same, and if you ever have any questions, shoot them to me, I love to share. We are all in this together!cq40usavwxe8.png

Replies

• Mellykay88
    Mellykay88 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I needed to see this. I was getting frustrated with only a .2 lb loss this week despite staying under my calorie goals. I looked back at my MFP progress chart and saw a pretty clear pattern of big dips followed by a stall or even tiny increases.
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    Options
    @melkelmore That was me! I saw a stall with an increase & I freaked out. I needed to step back and see the big picture. Now I see it. I am so much more at ease/comfortable and can handle the periods of no movement. Take care.
  • Fit_in_Folsom
    Fit_in_Folsom Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Nice graph! Very true...goes to show you that good metrics can help! Thank you
  • jennyi27
    jennyi27 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    somebody loves excel!
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    Options
    @jennyi27 can't help it! I work with numbers and thankfully with weight less and less
  • pdxhak
    pdxhak Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I wish my plataues only lasted 3 weeks :) I loose in chuncks and then wait for the next drop. Weeks? Months? I take it however it happens and keep grinding. Staying consistent and trusting what you are doing is what matters the most.
  • boopster99
    boopster99 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    @johnnylew Thank you so much for posting this. I seem to be following quite a similar pattern of 3 - 4 weeks flatline, then a substantial drop, and repeat. This really helps put it in perspective. Amazing, these bodies of ours aren't they!?
  • muellheimer
    muellheimer Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Your R-square is looking real good! :smiley:
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    Options
    @boopster99 your welcome and they are amazing! @muellheimer you noticed that? Yeah I am a data geek
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    Options
    pdxhak wrote: »
    I wish my plataues only lasted 3 weeks :) I loose in chuncks and then wait for the next drop. Weeks? Months? I take it however it happens and keep grinding. Staying consistent and trusting what you are doing is what matters the most.
    . That's why I posted! So many me included get frustrated when we don't see a straight line to our goal. When the big picture shows that progress is being made

• boopster99
    boopster99 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    pdxhak wrote: »
    What's the longest flatline period that you've had? I feel like I'm on 5 weeks with this one.
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    Options
    Everyone will have different patterns the key is to identify yours.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Excellent. Could the mods please set this post up to auto-post every time someone mentions the words "plateau" "stall" or "Help!" in a thread title?!
  • tealtortoise
    tealtortoise Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I needed to see this post, too. Thanks
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I am like this too! I have noticed I stall for about 12 days and then will drop 3-4 pounds suddenly, then have to wait about 12 days again. I weigh daily so I have been able to notice this trend for myself
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    Options
    I learned it has to do with the way the body holds and manages water. Up to 4 pounds. So you could be burning and losing fat but your body retaining water and then once the water is released the weight loss shows that you had all along
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I use an app called Libra. It's nothing to gain 3-4 lbs. of water weight.
  • spiffychick85
    spiffychick85 Posts: 311 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Ok...someone please help my new *kitten*. What happens between 06/23 and 06/30? I love your chart by the way...just confused on why it keeps going down then jumps up and stays.

Is that just an average after that point?
  • V4kerker
    V4kerker Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    johnnylew have you done any other spread sheets to compare to stalls and drops, like body part measurements or total calories for that week and or macros?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!