Go-to options at Chipotle?

Options
Does anyone have any scale-friend favorite meals from Chipotle? Last night I ended up getting dinner there on the fly and thought that my choice (salad w/ chicken, veggies, guac and salsa - no cheese or sour cream) would be a pretty good option, but it ended up being over 600 calories! I know it's a large serving but I was still blown away. As it's a paleo/whole-30 favorite and on practically every corner where I live, I'd love to have a solid go-to at Chipotle for the future.

Any recommendations?

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I don't think 600 is terrible for a meal out, personally. You could nix the guac to bring the calories and fat down, I guess. I really like the chicken tacos with corn tortillas, black beans, lettuce, pico, and guac if I'm feeling crazy.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    I love Chipotle and appreciate that it is a much healthier fast-food choice than the norm. Did you get rice with the salad? That will always add extra calories and carbs. As I recall, sometimes the veggies include corn so that is also higher calories. Out of everything you listed (not knowing exactly the veggies), the guac will have the most calories but you get a lot of good fat bang for the calorie buck.

Since their portions are large maybe you could save a part of it for a later meal or snack?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Concur with the other comments that 600 cals doesn't seem unreasonable for dinner, particularly at a restaurant.

What is your overall calorie goal? How do you normally divide your calories among meals?
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Yeah I think that's pretty good. The burrito I get comes in around 900 calories!
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Man, I wish my Chipotle orders were 600 calories. Mine are usually over 1000. I just eat light during the day if I know I'm getting it or do a little exercise.

I SOMETIMES save half for the next day, but that only happens if I'm not busy stuffing my face.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    edited April 2017
    Options
    My burrito bowls are about 700-850 calories. I get 7oz (sometimes 10oz) of rice (each scoop is 3.5 oz according to a fer members who worked there), chicken, guac (they clear containers are 4oz last time I weighed it), pico de gallo, corn and double fajita dressing
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    600 is pretty normal for what I get there...half a serving of rice, no beans, chicken, tomatoes, cheese, sour cream. If I have more calories to splurge, then I'll buy guac.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I get a sofritas salad. With the options I choose, it's 400 calories and if I have extra calories, I will add guacamole.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I get a kids meal for around 600 calories. Pinto beans, fajita veggies, white rice, kids quesadilla with chicken.
  • Brithicks
    Brithicks Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I get a chicken salad for around 400. Lettuce, chicken (or steak depending on what I'm hungry for), a half scoop of brown rice, fajita veggies, green salsa and chips and guac on the side. I add about a third of the guac to my salad and crumble about 5 chips over the top. DELICIOUS and super filling. If I have a bit more calories available, Ill get a kids taco meal with corn tortillas, whatever meat looks good, a tiny bit of beans or rice, pico or corn salsa, lettuce, and guac. I get a piece of fruit for the side.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    If 600 cals is too much on any given day, try slimmed-down a burrito bowl.

When I eat at Chipotle, I'll usually get a burrito bowl (my basic bowl): no rice; black beans; fajita veggies; chicken (or steak); green (med) salsa; lettuce. That adds up to 310 - 340 cals (steak or chicken). Then, depending on macro needs or calorie goals, you can add in rice for more carbs; extra meat for more protein; or cheese, sour cream or avocado for more fat. Or just for flavor!

Keep in mind - despite being a regimented fast food chain, the portion sizes can still vary quite a bit from restaurant-to-restaurant and server-to-server.

All this of course is based on something that pleases my palate and is low cal - mYMMV.
  • Kristi26
    Kristi26 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I'm no help here. I love Chipotle and always get the steak bowl with veggies, Brown rice, black beans, salsa, and extra lettuce. Too many calories, I'm sure, but yummy. I just don't eat there often.
  • Tulip9
    Tulip9 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I usually get the chicken salad with lettuce, chicken, fajita veggies (you can ask for extra), brown rice, black beans, tomato salsa, tomatillo salsa. This adds up to 580. You can ask to go easy on the rice or beans to make it less. FYI, their salad dressing has 270 calories! If I'm taking it home, I sometimes put my own salad dressing and a little light sour cream. It's very filling. Their chicken tacos on corn tortillas are also a good option if you skip the cheese and sour cream.
  • ConquerAndBloom
    ConquerAndBloom Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I will always make room for the extra calories for the guacamole. :p

I will go with just straight carnitas, salsa, cheese, guac, a smidge of sour cream. No rice or beans. This is usually after a huge workout though.
  • SBHWeav
    SBHWeav Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I get a bowl. Brown rice, chicken, fresh tomato salsa, and lettuce (420 calories) Occasionally I'll add cheese (520 calories)
  • np1514
    np1514 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Chipotle is fine as long you are still below you daily caloric needs and it works for your macros. With chipotle their food is fine when it comes to carbs and fats but the sodium is absurd in their food. Drop the guac and maybe even cheese and get double meat with rice lettuce and veggies. I throw in some picante salsa for flavor on my own
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I get a bowl with vegetables and/or sofritas, rice, black beans, lettuce, all of the salsas, and sometimes guacamole. It's easily enough for 2 meals, and isn't super high calorie.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Stick with bowl or tacos, chicken is always a good choice. I will get a side of rice on the side if I have some extra room in the days calories. And it's not mentioned, but you don't have to buy 3 tacos. You can buy 1 or 2. Corn tortillas I think have fewer calories than flour.

Suffice it to say, the burrito is a calorie bomb!
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Flirt around with their calculator and see what you can come up with:

http://chipotle.com/nutrition-calculator

The serving sizes will always be different in their restaurant though.