Alternative to the Candy Dish for Work Gatherings/Meetings?

Options
jbirdgreen
jbirdgreen Posts: 569 Member
edited April 2017 in Food and Nutrition
So one of the biggest displays of hospitality in my industry (gov. employee) is to have a candy dish. Have one in your office, bring one to your meetings, hand it out like swag if you're setting up an informational booth, etc.

However, I work for the Health Dept. now, and I think it just seems kind of hypocritical to be handing out candy whenever there's a gathering.

What healthy item would you use to replace the candy? I am blanking out, so I need your help! I prefer individually wrapped things because I'm a germaphobe, and humans are gross.

I was thinking the Sunsweet individually wrapped prunes, but people may be disappointed by that. What do you think?

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest a fruit bowl, but not since you're germ phobic. I just wouldn't have one.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I think someone will be disappointed by whatever you offer.

Prunes probably won't go over well. There's a bit of a stigma associated with them. Perhaps individual packets of nuts (allergy alert) or a different dried fruit?

Honestly, I'd rather get an individually wrapped hard mint. Lower cal than either fruit or nuts and tends to quell my appetite some. You can get sugar free.
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    The flavored water packets are a great idea! Could you do a mix of items like some lower fat candy (twizzlers and york peppermint patties) or those new goodness knows snack squares and a healthier option like the prunes and drink packets?
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Generally people might be disappointed by not having candy or a treat in a bowl, so I second maybe not having one. Depending on how much you want to spend (I assume you are buying the treats), I personally like the prunes or raisin boxes. There are 100 calorie packs of raw nuts. You could probably find some smaller (I think Quaker makes them) granola bars, but those are debatable for being healthy. There are individually packaged fresh fruits and veggies, but then you'd need to refrigerate. Maybe just skip it. :smiley:
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    How about a basket of mini waterbottles
  • youngmommy2
    youngmommy2 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Maybe a "healthier" candy? like YumEarth lollipops. Maybe even Organic fruitstrips or those tiny boxes of raisins?
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm not sure about prunes...

How about fruit with a rind, such as a nice bowl with bananas, oranges, and such?
    Or individual packets of carrot sticks? I get those sometimes for my son.
    Or just put a Keurig nearby for coffee, tea, or hot cocoa?
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I keep a fruit bowl on my desk. Usually just a couple apples or mandarin oranges along with a few small ghiradelli chocolate squares. Mostly for me, but occasionally a coworker takes a piece. I make sure to bring home anything left on Friday so it doesn't sit all weekend. If you're concerned about dirty hands, you can put each piece in plastic wrap or a baggie. Our cafeteria puts self-serve fruit in pretty cello bags tied with a ribbon. I've seen those bags at the craft store and they are very inexpensive.

Maybe applesauce or fruit cups? Or single serve trail mix or healthier breakfast bars like Nutrigrain or Quaker oatmeal bars. You can usually find big packs of these at Costco for a good price. I also like the beverage suggestion.
  • jbirdgreen
    jbirdgreen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Individually wrapped dark chocolate squares? Ghirardelli makes good ones. Trader Joe's also has little individually wrapped packs of nuts or trail mix. Fruit leathers made of 100% fruit? I feel like Trader Joe's has a ton of things you could offer.

Trader Joes probably does have what I need. That place is borderline perfect.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I would do small bananas or cuties little clementines. You might get more visitors than you think AND they are naturally individually wrapped!
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I would get a huge mega-pack of cheap pens and just hand those out. In my experience, everyone appreciates a good pen!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,899 Member
    Options
    jbirdgreen wrote: »
    So one of the biggest displays of hospitality in my industry (gov. employee) is to have a candy dish. Have one in your office, bring one to your meetings, hand it out like swag if you're setting up an informational booth, etc.

However, I work for the Health Dept. now, and I think it just seems kind of hypocritical to be handing out candy whenever there's a gathering.

What healthy item would you use to replace the candy? I am blanking out, so I need your help! I prefer individually wrapped things because I'm a germaphobe, and humans are gross.

I was thinking the Sunsweet individually wrapped prunes, but people may be disappointed by that. What do you think?

I also work in a gov't health department.

We don't have candy dishes in our offices and we don't bring anything at all to meetings. In fact, we don't have any sweets for sale or anything in the place. And no one expects anything.

Are these just the normal staff meetings? Or are they some sort of promotional meetings?

• gossipkween
    gossipkween Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    how about kind bars, mini protein bars, or the individually packaged trail mixes (i think 5-10 small bags in a package) from trader joes?
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    You can also stamp oranges - a politician did mandarins for her giveaway recently and it was cute (and cheap and healthy).
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I love prunes so I would love them. I was THAT mom and sent dried apricots to school with my daughter when it was her turn to take the treat in kindergarten.

Anyway, I wouldn't have a dish out on a regular basis. For trade shows where you have a booth, I'd stick to pens or something like that.

There's sometimes a candy dish out on the counter in my office. My staff will buy candy and fill it if they want it but I don't participate because I don't think it's necessary.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    I love these fruit wraps from TJ's. And they're only .50 cents too.

25088060155699926ca1e225d0b6ae2c.jpg
  • catluvgal
    catluvgal Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    So, I notice many of the suggestions are still pretty sugar-laden. I think nuts, fruit (not raisins), dark choc and mini kind bars are all good options as are gum, mints, and water if you have a booth since not many will give those out.