8 years.

Options
_har_T_Swallow
_har_T_Swallow Posts: 2,606 Member
i do think you get to live multiple lives during your span. i'm on like my 3rd one at this point. started a while back now though.

where were you 8 years ago? what did you look like? if you could, what would you now, say to yourself back then?

Replies

• toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I've been with my SO for 8 years and wouldn't change a damn thing there. I WOULD tell myself to save more money. Where the heck did all my money go.
  • JustMissTracyToo
    JustMissTracyToo Posts: 74 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    8 years ago today my young daughter was very pregnant, and single....I was very stressed....Today I would say to my younger self:

Chill out lady!! Being a Gramma is going to be the best thing that ever happened to you!! <3
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options
    I was, approximately 22 pounds less than I am currently because I was healthy enough to, walk anywhere within; a 6 mile round trip & had 2 Nephews under, 3 years old that; regularly visited!

I'd tell myself to, begin counting calories & buy exercise equipment because you'll be unable to, walk more than a ¼ mile round trip often within; half a decade!
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    That was right after the financial down turn. I lost my job due to a massive work force reduction. I was unemployed and struggling. Everything sucked.

What would I say to myself? I'd say Wake up girl. On top of all your problems your husband is cheating on you and you're too consumed in financial stress to notice. Stop wallowing in your sorrows, go get fine and get ready for the roller coaster ride because sh`t's about to go down.

Edit to add my mom also died that year. Dang 2009 sucked!
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Eight years ago I was 1/3 of the way through my attempt to sail around the world on my 18 footer. Eight years later, I'm about 5/8's of the way through.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,508 Member
    Options
    I was a *kitten* then.

.... I'm a *kitten* still today.

Shrug
  • FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
    Options
    8 years ago...

I had been dating a guy for 4 months after not being sure I even wanted to go out on a second date. We're happily married now (90% of the time anyway heh), so the second date was a good decision.

I was stuck in a job I hated, and trying so hard to move up, but they had a system of favoritism and I kept getting in trouble for pointing it out. I wasn't one of the favorites. I don't miss it, but I don't regret pointing it out.

I was living alone, for real, for the first time in my life, and loving it.

I was on antidepressants after a "you might have cervical cancer" scare followed by a lot of testing that very thankfully was all negative, and then a "you probably won't be able to have babies" discussion.

I looked much the same. Different hair and fewer wrinkles, but the same.

I would tell myself to stop being so sad about babies, because there's a really great one in your future... and get used to the high school crap, because you'll be dealing with it forever.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Eight years ago I was 35 and my wife and I were transitioning from being a carefree couple (married 5 years at that time) with plenty of disposable income and doing whatever we wanted on a whim to trying getting pregnant with our first child (he's 7 now) and starting a family. Wouldn't change a thing...all has gone according to plan.

I'm more gray than not now and substantially balding, so I shave my head. I was quite a bit fatter back then also...much leaner and much more fit these days.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Heck I can't remember what i did yesterday let alone 8 yrs ago!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    8 years back I was in a tough place relationship wise, physically, and mentally. I was burning several candles at both ends and had my priorities out of whack. Of course, that is my perspective of it all now, but at the time I thought I was doing well with work, managing my family life, finishing another degree, and doing stuff right to get more stuff and go more places.

Interesting.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    Only because you asked in your OP what we all looked like... I have proof.

641u2xxsibd9.jpg

As to what I'd say to myself??:
    • Stop being so hyper-critical of yourself
    • Don't complain about having to maintain your "slightly overweight" status via exercise because it will just get harder in about ten years.
    • Learn to not be so bitter and angry about things. Your life hasn't been great and you haven't had all the opportunities others you know have had, but your life is far from terrible and you could have had it so much worse.
    • Don't feel bad that you quit your job at Subway. People were taking advantage of your work ethic to the point of you losing your sanity. Minimum wage isn't worth that and you can find a different job.

There were probably a lot of other things, but those were at the top because that's what was stressing me out back then.

As to *what* I was doing? Well, I got married two years before this point, moved to an entirely new state and had made no friends in the new place despite being there for two years, but early 2009 I believe is the year I met the wonderful ladies at the knitting club.. so it wasn't all bad.
    004.JPG 994.3K
  • TurnuptheACDC
    TurnuptheACDC Posts: 318 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I was 19, in college and dating a loser. Wish I could slap some sense into my past self but I'd walk away with less life lessons under my belt.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Ok I had to really think LOL! My FIL passed Dec 2008 so my hubby and I took care of his mother with early onset Dementia for about 3 months. That was really stressful hard year dealing with dementia MIL. I got Marley the Shih Tzu on the left. And my eldest son was Jr in HS. Youngest was beginning Freshman of HS. Wow time really does fly.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    8 years ago...

I lived in the same place and had the same job as I do now

I looked the same as now, except for different hair colours

I would say to myself:
    - stop polluting your body now
    - visit your grandmother, grandfather, uncle, aunt, cousin, and one particular friend more often because they won't be alive much longer
    - stop worrying so much about what you are "supposed" to be doing with your life, you are you, and that is fine
    - try to stop being so socially insecure, it's not worth the worry
    - buy real estate in the city you live in, it will triple in value
  • IVMay
    IVMay Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    8 years ago I was a mess with the hedonism and erratic behaviour. On a regular basis. Lack of sleep due to the hedonism and major weight loss etc. Complete mess. Would have nothing to say to that person. Don't have time for that person. They're dead :)
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,368 Member
    Options
    I was probably planning the boys first birthday party.

I'd tell myself don't worry skating will be fun again...just give it time
  • mildlysaucy
    mildlysaucy Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    8 years ago, I was just about to turn 16. I spent a lot of time bingeing and hiding in my room, wishing I was pretty, and trying to convince myself I was straight. I was severely unhappy. Sure, my life could use a little improvement, but I think that sad kid would be surprised I was even still around.