Question about sugar intake

Options
Of my 29 grams of allotted daily sugar, all 29 of mine have come from natural sources- 12 from half a banana and 17 from honey (I have tea with honey every morning). As a result, I usually go over on my sugar allowance.

My question is, should I be more concerned with counting added sugar rather than natural sugars?

Thanks.

Replies

• steveet
    steveet Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi , I think the answer is yes you should be more concerned with added sugar ( simple sugars ) as the have less molecules which the body breaks down and enters the blood stream very fast which then causes insulin spikes promoting weight gain , natural sugar ( complex sugar ) has 3 or more molecules which takes the body a lot longer to break down which is good.
  • lorid220
    lorid220 Posts: 14
    Options
    Hi , I think the answer is yes you should be more concerned with added sugar ( simple sugars ) as the have less molecules which the body breaks down and enters the blood stream very fast which then causes insulin spikes promoting weight gain , natural sugar ( complex sugar ) has 3 or more molecules which takes the body a lot longer to break down which is good.

That makes sense. I want to be careful with my sugar b/c I am pretty sure that is maintaining my plateau issue.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Try using the Search feature on the menu below Message Boards >> Food and Nutrition. This question has been asked a ton of times.