Idea?

Options
Have an idea :... to prevent binges ... eat at my Maintenance calories but still exercise and not eat back the exercise calories ? I'm planning to run 30 min a day mon to fri which burns 350 cals per run . Surely I could loose weight doing this ????

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    How is that different from setting your deficit at 350 calories, but eating your exercise calories? What happens if you decide to run an extra thirty minutes?
  • Fivefootcaloriecounter
    Options
    It's the psychological aspect I suppose
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    The only thing you can do is try it and see if it works for you. But if you're having full-blown binges I would encourage you to try and get to the root of that. Binge eating problems can be awful and destructive and getting a handle on that can only help.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Yes you should lose weight that way.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Have an idea :... to prevent binges ... eat at my Maintenance calories but still exercise and not eat back the exercise calories ? I'm planning to run 30 min a day mon to fri which burns 350 cals per run . Surely I could loose weight doing this ????

Yes, you can do that. I think it is a good option for many people.
  • Mini_Medic
    Mini_Medic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Yes it could work, however if you don't run one day you will not have a deficit that day. If you run faster or slower your burn will be different daily despite having 30 mins be a constant. I.E. one day may be 2 miles in 30 mins but the next could be 2.5 or even 3. The higher mileage would yield higher calories burned, lower would be less despite still 30 mins of running.

However in the spirit of fixing binge eating, yes try it out. Eat at maintence but don't obsess about getting exercise to make a deficit otherwise you run the risk of using exercise as a punishment. That's almost as not fun as binging and feeling poorly.
    Here's what I do, I eat based on how I feel up to my maintenance calories. If I work out harder I eat more if I want, if I am sedentary I eat less but try to never go over maintence calories. If I do go over one day I cut some the next. Or sometimes I bank calories but with binge eating sometimes that can hurt you in the long run.
    Try out maintenance with exercise and see how you feel after a month, it can't hurt as long as your logging and counting are accurate for maintenance.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Is it really possible to burn 350 calories in a 30 minute run? I'm not a runner so please educate me.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    What is your weight? I have a darn hard time burning 350 calories in half an hour. IIRC you don't have a lot to lose?

But to answer the question, that's pretty much what I do. Have it set to maintenance and anything in the green is a happy day weight loss wise. For whatever reason that switch this year has got me back to being much more compliant with my deficit.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    janjunie wrote: »
    Is it really possible to burn 350 calories in a 30 minute run? I'm not a runner so please educate me.

Calorie burn is going to be a factor of weight and speed. An online calculator I found just told me that a 150-pound person running 3 miles in 30 minutes would burn 340 calories, so it's certainly possible for some people to burn 350 calories in a 30 minute run.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options

Calorie burn is going to be a factor of weight and speed. An online calculator I found just told me that a 150-pound person running 3 miles in 30 minutes would burn 340 calories, so it's certainly possible for some people to burn 350 calories in a 30 minute run.

Ok thank you, even for a smaller person you could still get a pretty good calorie burn. I'm going to have to start running.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Ok thank you, even for a smaller person you could still get a pretty good calorie burn. I'm going to have to start running.

It's excellent for burning calories!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I do similar, although not for binge control. I'm eating ~ 2000 cals as that seems to make me happy. MFP is giving me around 1500 for a 2 lb per week loss. Between treadmill time and other activity (above sedentary) I usually get those 500 cals back, and then a little bit more some days. If I don't hit that number, then it just slows my loss down a bit. And, as my weight drops off more, I will keep eating at the 2000 and start to lose slower.

@janejellyroll what calculator did you use? Trying to figure out what a 5K this weekend will burn for me.
  • VintageFeline
    Options

Huh I thought it was lower. Might have to try and get my running mojo back!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

I burn 400+ in thirty minutes on a bicycle, so I would think a runner would have little trouble burning 350, since running takes more effort than riding a bicycle.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

This is the calculator I used: http://www.runnersworld.com/tools/calories-burned-calculator
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options

Same here! I'm going to get back to it tonight - I'm not up to 30 min straight though - yet!!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I ran 2.1 miles this morning, got 175 cals...
  • VintageFeline
    Options

This is the calculator I used: http://www.runnersworld.com/tools/calories-burned-calculator

Using a general guess from when I was last running, I could probably go a little further and am lighter now but 4k, 35 minutes, 155lbs is 291 calories.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    So, for my 5K plan of both running and walking, looks like about 470 cals.