Lap Swimming....help me not be "that woman"

Options
Emily3907
Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
So, I am going to join my local wellness center, exclusively for the lap pool. I love swimming and would like to go about 3-4 times a week. I may also do some aquatics classes. I would consider myself a "beginner" swimmer. I can do freestyle and breast stroke fairly well, but I would be starting from square one when it comes to endurance. It has been a long time since I have swam regularly (like 14 years). I have never used a public lap pool, so I am not too sure about the proper etiquette. I don't believe the place I will be going is terribly busy, but just in case, I would love to hear everyone's tips or do's/don'ts for lap swimming.

I am already a little self-conscious about my swimming skills, so I don't want to be obnoxious and draw attention to myself for being unaware or unknowingly rude about pool etiquette.

Thanks!

Replies

• Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Be friendly to the other swimmers in your lane, and let them know you are a beginner and open to tips/feedback. I'm sure they will cue you in on how things work at that pool
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    In addition to the great tips above, I'd say that when two people are sharing a lane, you have the flexibility to either do a circle swim, or else each person can pick a side of the lane and swim laps that way. If 3 or more swimmers per lane, then of course you'll need to do a circle swim.

Finally, at my local pool, there is a great masters swim group. Many of the advanced swimmers are happy to provide swimming tips if asked.

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    if someone is already in the lane, get their attention before you get in

if you are sharing a lane - determine if you are going to circle swim (up one side and down the other) or each stick to your own side

if you are sharing a lane - take care when doing breaststroke (nothing sucks more than getting kicked in the chest by someone you are sharing a lane with)

lanes won't always be designated by speed (most pools I use, they aren't, UNLESS, its something like masters swim going on).

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Read the pool rules posted on the wall and talk to a staff member about your questions, protocol, etc.
  • MegJane99
    MegJane99 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I go to aqua aerobics 4-5 times a week...love it...best thing ever.
  • BrianKMcFalls
    BrianKMcFalls Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    While circle swimming, if someone wants to pass, they will touch your feet to indicate that. So stop in the right corner of the lane when you reach the wall to allow them to pass. This is the same spot you should use if you need to stop and rest.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    When I started swimming again, I had to stop every length of the pool. I don't know if it was purely lack of endurance or also not having a good breathing rhythm while swimming. I just tried to go at slow times when the pool was fairly empty and tried to avoid sharing a lane if at all possible. When I did share, it was only with one other person, and we stayed on our own sides.. no circle swimming. I knew I wasn't up for that.
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    Have fun! swimming is ace!

if you are in a lane just need to pay attention at the ends and if someone has tapped you to ask to pass, let them. But I second (or third) introducing self and saying that you are starting out.
    I am lucky really, my pool has 3 lanes marked (slow, medium, fast) and then half the pool for miscellaneous swimming which is less 'worrying' - i.e my mate swims in there as she worries about lane etiquette and possibly slowing people down.
    But in general if you worry about that - you won't be someone who does it, as you will be noticing and letting people pass etc
    does that make sense? it made sense in my head
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    When i used to swim in lanes we had one guy who used to spit water with every stroke, please dont do that it was disgusting, he was eventually banned. He also used to swim on his back in baggy shorts arms and legs akimbo right up the middle of the lanes, he was known as mr balls im sure you can guess why so swimwear that fits is a must

Swim with your right side close to the line and pass folks on thier left. If you keep over taking move up a lane before the life guard has to tell you to move. Move down a lane if your constantly being over taken
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    Swim with your right side close to the line and pass folks on thier left. If you keep over taking move up a lane before the life guard has to tell you to move. Move down a lane if your constantly being over taken

but some lanes have direction signs for which sides to swim on - isn't always right side near the line (my pool it is swim on the left side)
    and it might be that the life guards at your place are as useless as they are at mine - they never tell anyone to move up or down a lane or even to stop swimming up the centre.
    talking to a staff member will give you an idea of how much they care
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Swimming for 21 yrs. Please remember that half of the lane is yours--the other half is mine. Please don't whack people when doing the backstroke. If you don't know how to do it correctly--ask an instructor and take a few lessons. Our pool lets people choose their lanes regardless of expertise or speed, so you can imagine what happens when it fills up, and the lanes are tight. Don't do alot of excess splashing--it doesn't mean you're a better swimmer. OP, swimming is wonderful. Pool etiquette is mostly good sense and respect for the other swimmers. There are always a few bad eggs, it's just important that you do your best not to be one of them. happy swimming!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    definitely pay attention to any signs that tell you which lane or which direction to swim in - it's not always swimming on the right side, in fact here it tends to be to swim clockwise which would be left-hand side.
    If you are in a lane but need to stop to catch your breath, keep to the end and keep out of the way of a person swimming - they will see you and redirect their turn. Strokes tend to keep together -so I swim crawl (I actually don't know how to do breaststroke) and avoid the breaststroke lane.

If you find you are going too slow for the lane and people passing often, be courteous and move into another lane.

• dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    I haven't swam in years either, but I'd like to. If or when I do start, I'll try to keep these in mind.

Or I was considering joining a class, group.
  • Katleskin
    Katleskin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    My pool only has one lane, we swim clockwise and try to accommodate each other as best as possible. If someone is obviously faster than you and they're likely to catch you up on the next length PLEASE just hang back at the end for a couple of seconds and let them overtake you on the changeover. Otherwise you'll slow them up (ruining their times/making their heart rate drop) while they try to negotiate a mid-lap overtake, and that's not even always possible due to other swimmers coming back the other way. A little bit of awareness of other users goes a LONG way. Also, unless you can swim in a straight line don't swim backstroke - the amount of people who have ploughed into me while they've been doing wonky backstroke and then acted like it was my fault for not getting out of my own part of the lane! *sigh*
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,890 Member
    Options
    My local pool has several lanes with speeds, as others have mentioned, plus an area next to the lanes where people can stand, wade, walk, hug each other or whatever they want to do.

The area is set up as follows:

Edge | Slow | Medium | Fast | General Milling Around Area | Kiddie Pool | Edge

I don't go to the pool very often, but the time I've been, people have been standing and generally milling around in the designated slow lane, taking up the whole lane ... and the lifeguards just turn a blind eye.

Don't do that. :) If you're going to walk ... go to the general area.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Katleskin wrote: »
    My pool only has one lane, we swim clockwise and try to accommodate each other as best as possible. If someone is obviously faster than you and they're likely to catch you up on the next length PLEASE just hang back at the end for a couple of seconds and let them overtake you on the changeover. Otherwise you'll slow them up (ruining their times/making their heart rate drop) while they try to negotiate a mid-lap overtake, and that's not even always possible due to other swimmers coming back the other way. A little bit of awareness of other users goes a LONG way. Also, unless you can swim in a straight line don't swim backstroke - the amount of people who have ploughed into me while they've been doing wonky backstroke and then acted like it was my fault for not getting out of my own part of the lane! *sigh*

THIS happens alot where I swim--usually newbs, or elderly swimmers. Since all our lanes are equal you can't send them somewhere else. You have to try and find a better lane with experienced swimmers, but then along comes....you guessed it.
  • jessicalferrara
    jessicalferrara Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    As a competitive swimmer for 18 years, I have dealt with all types of swimmers. For me the most annoying thing about open swim is when people DON'T let you pass them. I have tapped the foot of a lot of people who either ignore my tapping or won't stop at the wall to let me pass. DON'T be one of those people. I love a pool that marks out the speed at which you should be, however, not everyone has the same idea of what their speed is accurately. I have come across elderly people that are the most inconsiderate. No offense anyone! But their technique and how many times I have been hit by them is far more than I ever wanted. When I swam with my team, we never really had any issues like the ones I encounter during open swim, so yes, introduce yourself, tell them you're a beginner, and then let them figure it out because you did your part, now let them do theirs.

Good luck! I love swimming. It's the best sport!