Ugly run

Options
I missed my morning run due to thunder and lightning. Went this muggy muggy afternoon. Had to stop in the middle of the run to visit the facilities- -this <i> never </i> happens in the mornings. Forgot to pause mapmyrun, so it caught the whole thing. Got back to the track and had a hard time getting started again. Walked about 75 feet before starting again.

Ugly run.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Bummer!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,681 Member
    Options
    As it gets hotter and more humid, running can feel a lot more difficult. It's just something we have to get used to as the seasons change. After a while you acclimate and learn to slow down enough so running becomes more enjoyable again.

And then there are just some days that running sucks. Usually my next run will feel a lot better. Or I'll have a great run and my next one will feel really hard.
  • jesssuccess
    jesssuccess Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    woohoo you did it!
  • WandaVaughn
    WandaVaughn Posts: 420 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Thanks, y'all. I was a little demoralized. I appreciate the supporting words.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Great job! Even on days when I "don't feel like it", I remind myself that an ugly workout is better than none because I'm keeping up my habits!
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    But at least you did it!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you cant win 'em all.
  • kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Lol I remember my ugly runs. Gasping for air from allergies, pain in my legs, wanting to throw up or cry. Stupid body!

But still, better than being sat indoors. Which is what I currently do more of ;)
  • faramelee
    faramelee Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Ugly runs are crappy, I feel you there, but as the others have said you did it regardless and you didn't quit so be proud of yourself!!!! :) It's so easy for us to go straight to the negative and overshadow the positive, something we all need to work on.....
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    I've had several 'meh' runs lately. Even one where throughout the whole run I was questioning why I was running at all, did I even enjoy it, what's the point etc.

Then I decided to stop measuring heart rate, pace, distance etc. and just go out. I've had nice runs since.

Sometimes these ugly runs just have to be borne, and when you get to the end you can think, well, it wasn't great but it happened, and the next one will be better.

^^^This. Every so often I realize I've got totally hung up on trying to beat my previous time, or trying to perfect my pace or whatever. And I start beating myself up and hating running. When that happens I'll leave my Garmin at home and just run for the sheer fun of running. Which is why I started running in the first place.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Ugly happens. You muddle through and get better for the effort.
  • pawamonster
    pawamonster Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    That's not a failure at all! You were flexible in your running plan, but you stuck to it. You were strong and determined. You persevered. Celebrate your dedication!
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    "Sh-- Happens"

Every runner has been there. Don't worry about it.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    A "bad" run serves to compare with a better one. If you've never done "bad" you can't comprehend and get that satisfaction of bettering yourself.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Stella3838 wrote: »
    This is one of my favorites.

running+quote.jpg

I quoted that a gazillion times, until I actually had a DNF. Psychologically, DNF feels a lot worse that DNS. DNS feels like, oh well, I got injured, best I can do is get better and run again. DNF feels like, I ran 25 miles and I'm a failure because I didn't get to the finish line.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    "I sure wish I hadn't run"
    -- No one. Ever.
  • nadler64
    nadler64 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    fitbethlin wrote: »
    Ugly run is better than No Run. You were still faster than all those people sitting at home on the couch!

This. Something, anything, is better than nothing (or as we say on another board, SIBTN). You go, girl.