When a "cheat day" is a needed day.

Options
I've never posted before, but I've just eaten a whole bunch of rubbish food in a day that people might usually term as binging or a "cheat day" but I'm not. I'm not sure why I'm feeling the need to explain this, but I kind of don't want other people to feel like a failure because of a much needed happy day or doing what you want and not worrying.

I've had a few days of sleepless nights and a bit of emotional turmoil going on and today my boyfriend came round and we got better together. I didn't think about anything other than how happy I was and I needed that so much. I'm going to sleep wonderfully tonight, I'm falling asleep as I type.

I just wanted to say that being healthy is important but it shouldn't override your happiness. It shouldn't override getting better. And this one day of not focusing on my health does not define my journey or who I am. I will continue and I will be happy.

:)

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you are feeling better! Sometimes you just got to let loose!
  • buffinlovin
    buffinlovin Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I've done this a few times since I've started dieting :) It wasn't so much emotional, but just saying "it's okay to eat what you like tonight". A couple of those times it was for special occasions, and another couple times it was because the mister and I were trying a new restaurant. We both love interesting eateries, and I'm not going to a new restaurant and ordering grilled chicken and veggies (maybe the second time we go I'll do that, if I want to be more conservative).

I aim to be on target 95% of the time. I'm never going to be perfect, and expecting perfection is setting myself up for failure. Instead I accept that, if I choose to eat over my deficit, I may gain water weight/bloat, and I may not see a change on the scale (or see it go in the wrong direction). as long as I expect it, I don't fear it when it happens.
  • aeshippers
    aeshippers Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Good for you @hey_llia and @buffinlovin. I think lots of us are guilty of self-sabotage when we come to the conclusion that all our good work is undone by one bad meal/day, I know I have been in the past.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,041 Member
    Options
    I take planned diet breaks now and then ... mostly in connection with travel or events.

They aren't "cheat days" because I plan them, and while I do eat whatever I want, I don't binge. I just relax the quantity restrictions a bit.

I'm usually exercising a lot during those diet breaks too.

My next planned diet break is the Easter break.
  • owa1s
    owa1s Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Have a refeed day on leg or back day and focus on getting more carbs on that day
  • lionessNV
    lionessNV Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I just posted something similar in my feed today. That for the past couple weeks I've been eating closer to maintenance than a deficit. At first I felt guilty about it, but this week not so much. I realize that even on the days I eat over my calorie goal it still comes in at a "maintenance" level because I did bother to still exercise on those days. And, I think of how much higher the calorie count would be if I didn't exercise that day.