How did you start running?

Options

Replies

• Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I started a quarter of a mile at a time and now I am up to 5 miles. Breathing is the hardest part, so I just turn my music up so load i cant hear my breathing and I no longer concentrate on my breathing, just running!!
  • TheBeerRunner
    TheBeerRunner Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    I set a goal and kept working towards it. I signed up and paid to enter a 5 mile race (10k) and wasn't going to not run it. It is very important to ease into it, listen to your body and don't over do it. C25k works well for lots of people, but it's not for everyone. Check out Hal Higdon's training program for a 5k, it's a bit different, but it will get you to the fitness level required to run and finish a 5k in 8 weeks. http://www.halhigdon.com/training/50933/5K-Novice-Training-Program

Also, the MOST important thing is don't start running with speed in mind, run for distance an endurance, then build speed. OH, and breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth... You'll take in far more oxygen that way. Best of luck,
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I started out walking briskly and on a really high incline on the treadmill and once I got down to a manageable weight and built up my endurance, I was able to switch to strictly running without difficulty (although I was a runner in high school, so perhaps my body 'remembered'). Now I focus on improving my speed and distance.

I'm also asthmatic, so I've always had to be conscious of my breathing. I'm a mouth breather and I take slow, deep breaths (shallow, rapid breaths will tucker you out quicker).
  • Satch131
    Satch131 Posts: 7
    Options
    I followed a C25K also. There are so many different apps out there. And some are free. The one I use runs in the background, so I can listen to my own music. The app prompts me when it's time to run or walk and tells me for how long. The first few weeks your running/walking for maybe 18 mins. Then it increases a few mins each week until you reach 30 mins. You work out three times a week. At the end of 15 weeks, I was running 5k no problem. I was 50 when I first started running, so people shouldn't let their age stop them! Unfortunately I stopped running last year (plantar fasciitis) and I just recently started again. Glad I still have my app to use! Good luck!
  • Kimberrh6
    Kimberrh6 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Wow, thank you all so much! You've all given me such great information! Thank you!
  • SpleenThief
    SpleenThief Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Lots of folks used C25K. I didn't. At 285 pounds I didn't know anything about running so I figured I'd just go out and run as far as I could. I made it a half mile in 7 minutes and had to walk back. I did it again a few days later. And again. Then I added when I could, held steady when I had to. It took me about a month to be able to run three miles.

Lots of ways to skin this cat. C25K is popular for good reason, but there are other options out there. I will say regardless of what method you use, when you start, your running should be at a conversational pace.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I started with one of the many c25k variations. Once I got to 8-12 minutes running straight, I was having pain in my pelvis on the walk intwrvals and couldn't start running again. The pain was related to child birth. Anyway, one day I decided to just try and run a little longer. And it turned out I was fine if I kept running, so I changed my plan and instead of running intervals I started gradually increasing time instead. You just have to pay attention to what works for you.
  • 9thChakra
    9thChakra Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Hello! I only read the OP so someone may have said this already.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Beginning-Runners-Handbook-13-Week/dp/1553658604/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374631578&sr=8-1&keywords=beginning+runners+handbook

Background on me and why this helped:
    -I first came across this when I completed hiking the AT. I had lost 20 pounds and wanted to keep moving to maintain it because I'd no longer be hiking 10 miles/day.
    -I really don't enjoy running but knew it was an easy way to maintain cardio and weight loss.
    -I ran on trails as often as possible because I find the ground softer and it feels better.
    -The 13-week plans are a no-brainer...plus the bonus of no pace/mileage to care about...because I don't care about that.
    -The first week is only 3 days out of the week where you run for 30 seconds/walk 4min 30sec and repeat for 30-40 minutes...when I read that I was like, "Hell! I can run for 30 seconds."
    -I've used this program successfully 3 times in order to run a 10k. I was close to 60 mins every time.

I used an older version but my guess is the info is pretty similar. Worth checking out in my opinion! Best to you!

9thChakra
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I really only ran when one of my preferred workouts wouldn't pan out, which, over the course of 9 months of losing weight, turns out to be quite a few times. I "knew" I'd never be a runner, so I wasn't aiming for anything too specific, but I thought that a 5k was probably a good marker of general cardiovascular health.

The best thing I ever did was not care about how fast I ran my runs. I aimed to stick to a pace that was easy for me to breath through. I listened to awesome music with a good tempo so that I would be distracted by the music and thus not think too hard about my body, the distance or my breathing - I found that when I was distracted I breathed best, and hence had more stamina.

When I couldn't run anymore, I'd walk for a while until I felt okay. Then I'd start running again. Eventually I didn't feel like I needed to stop and walk.

I will echo those that say find trails to run on if you can, as the softer ground is easier on the knees.

And otherwise, just keep getting out there. It gets easier with time :smile:. I promise. Remember, I "knew" I could never be a runner, but now I run 5km usually 3-4 times a week.

I am planning on doing interval training (run 10 min, walk a minute) to build up to 10km runs soon!
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I didn't think of it as a workout, thought of it as a fun, active challenge and having support helped as well from a run club
  • SmallMimi
    SmallMimi Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Put one foot in front of the other, then just picked up my speed. I am now a jogger, approaching be a full fledge runner.
  • pinkstp
    pinkstp Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I've never been a runner, I have horrible knees and I just have always hated running! But like you, I decided (very very recently) that I wanted to just try to do a 5k. I installed C25kfree, the free version from Breast Cancer Research Foundation.

The thing is that you just need to start! Start by walking. Walk as far as you can. Do that every other day until you build up a little bit of stamina. Then I would say go for it! Personally, I started walking 1-2 miles once a week and then bumped it up to around 3x a week. Then I took a few months off and moved cross-country and after a month of lounging in my new home, I decided it was time :) I just finished week 2, day 1 (which for me, was much more difficult than the first week of walk/jog). Like others have said, don't feel bad for starting off slow! I did a 3.0 mph "walk" and a 4.0 mph "jog" for the first two days of training, and now I do 3.0 walk/5.0 jog and I'm not going for speed so I'm just going to keep it at that pace, which is reasonable for me (and my shorty legs!!).

You can do it!! :)
  • Raasy
    Raasy Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Like a lot have said on here already. Give the Couch to 5k apps a try. There are several to choose from and it really depends on your preferences. The zombie run seems to have a fun story line. I did the c25k app by active, I am currently on week 9 and just did day 1 . I have 2 more runs before finishing the program.
    I was not a runner and have always really struggled with running, but this program is great if you need the motivation!
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I'm also doing C25K. I found the best way to control my breathing is in for 4 strides, out for 3. In through the nose, out through the mouth. Also, there is a running store in my area that has free running classes and group runs, I don't know if you have anything like that where you are.

Also, I found the first few weeks of C25K harder than the longer intervals. I run with my dog and I start talking to her when my breathing gets out of control.
  • tennileb
    tennileb Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Good shoes!! and rest days!

I did the "Ease into 5 k" iphone app it was great, I do better when I don't see the screen or I agonize over every last second. with the app I just go. I had to repeat a few weeks as I did not feel ready to move to the next week.

I'm now just running 30 minutes 3 times a week.
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I think I'm one of the few who did not do the C25K...

I think I did something similar though without really realizing it. I used a treadmill and would run for a few minutes and then walk for a few minutes and repeat. Once I got more comfortable with that, I would run for longer.

No matter what your approach though, the key is to GO SLOW. You'll enjoy it a lot more, and be more likely to stick with it. I would run on the treadmill at 5.5 MPH - which is about an 11 minute mile I think. But don't feel bad if you go even slower than that...in fact don't care what people think! That's another obstacle you need to get over! Just do your best and get out there! You can do it!

I didn't use C25K either...I was living with my parents at the time and they cut me from our family YMCA membership since I essentially aged out (I'm 23 now). I knew I needed something so I took up running aka slow jogging for a few minutes then walk some, and repeat down this flat road in the neighborhood. Now that I've done it for a little bit my intervals are much longer and I can "run" aboutt 3x the length of my walking intervals.

you can definitely get to a 5k!
  • sarahhan95
    sarahhan95 Posts: 25
    Options
    I used the treadmill to get my body used to running. For the first few days, I would increase the incline and set my pace relatively low (5 mph) and hold on to the handle for support. When I'm more comfortable with the pace, I would put the incline down, let go of the handles, and try to jog. If you find out that you are out of breath after 2 minutes only, then you are completely normal! Just increase the incline and grasp the handles again, and keep having those jogging interval whenever you are ready.

I have exercise-induced asthma, and I would say that breathing is the hardest thing in running. However, once you master the correct form, it should get easier. I use to swing my arms across my body and that inadvertently makes breathing a lot more difficult. Your arms should swing mostly forward and back, not across your body, between waist and lower-chest level. Your elbows should be bent at about a 90-degree angle. When you breath in, it is your belly that should blow up like a balloon, not your chest. Try to maintain short strides and lift your knee as low as possible, so if your lower leg extends out in front of your body, your stride is too long and you are using unnecessary energy.

I know these tips sound very snobby. When I first started, I used to think, "Screw this, I can barely survive over here, so who give a damn about good forms and craps..." But ever since I follow these advices, running has become a lot easier, and I can breathe more comfortably during exercise now. It also requires a lot of patience too, but I promise once you get pass the discomfort threshold and get hooked, there's nothing quite like running :)!
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Started out walking outside fast and long, integrating hills. Got bored, decided to give jogging a try, and its stuck. I'm slow, a real plodder, but I enjoy it. Go to a running store and get fitted for a pair of running shoes by a professional. Made a ton of difference for me.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    c25k and slow down! trust me, it works! I went from not being able to run more than a minute to running 8 miles on sunday! oh right. and the shoes too. invest in good running shoes to avoid shin splints. plus a warm up and cool down walk plus stretching at the end :)
  • naturallyme36
    naturallyme36 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I stated jogging/walking in the park but it got boring to me because I would go in circles around the park and the scene never changed. I would often give up and go home early before completing the goal I had set for myself before arriving. I took a while off, then missed the feeling so one morning I woke up early and decided to run in my neighborhood and I just kept going. Now I run at work on my breaks and most place when I have free time. For me It feels good to be "GOING SOMEWHERE" rather than IN CIRCLES.