what embarrassing moment made you want to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Going from a size 24 in Jan 2011 to a size 8 in June 2012 (thanks MFP!) and then not being disciplined enough to maintain that new size - having to buy size 18's again. Shopping for clothes that apparently I was too fat for most stores and not fat enough for the plus size shops!
  • megzchica23
    megzchica23 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    After gaining 10 lbs I had 2 clients with in 2 weeks ask me if I was pregnant...after I answered "no" one of the women said "but your stomach is sticking out"!! **super rude comment - I thought**

I have an unfortunate body type where I gain weight on my stomach mostly, but to lose my stomach fat my arms and legs get pretty scrawny...I'm trying to find a balance :smile:

Same here too! Most of my weight is in my tummy and the rest of me didn't get that much bigger. My arms finally started to gain some weight but my wrists still look like little kid wrists. So I was asked like 100 times if I was pregnant. I also bloat easily because of my stomach issues, so that didn't help. But now that I'm eating less, differently, and exercising I don't bloat as much. So I already look way better only having lost 4lbs so far(this time). But yeah I just am tired of getting asked if I'm pregnant when I want kids so bad and don't know if the answer to that question will ever be yes. Makes me a bit sad. Plus I figure if I want kids, I need to get healthy. Now if only my husband would realize I'm not going to age any slower...
  • rustychord
    rustychord Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    The scale didn't go high enough.
  • Christiee1993x
    Christiee1993x Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Seeing my reflection and finding out my pregnancy is classes as high risk. I tried and failed to lose weight prior to this pregnancy but I never dreamed I was THAT obese. Hoping to maintain till birth then lose.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Mine was when i split my pants at work when bending down to get something. I decided to start exercising and watching what i ate. What was yours? Also add me as your friend if you like.

I don't really have one, but I've done that twice at a healthy weight. I cycle and lift and my quads and rear make pants fitting more difficult. Men's clothing doesn't seem to be cut or designed to accommodate a booty.
  • flower772016
    flower772016 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Seeing a photo of myself on holiday and I looked like I had no knee caps because my legs were so chunky
  • slider728
    slider728 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    It wasn't an embarrassing moment, just kind of a psychological defeat/shock for me when my "fat" clothes started not fitting. Sometimes it is hard for me to grasp I was a muscular, fit 180 pounds with single digit body fat when I met my wife. I always had self esteem issues and always thought I was ugly (now, looking back, I still have self esteem issues but I would actually get hit on back on those days so I might have been somewhat attractive though I don't and never did see it). As I gained weight, it didn't help my esteem issues. My weight climbed and climbed until I broke the 250 pound mark and had a size 40 pants became tight. I had to pick and choose my XXL T-Shirts as some didn't cover my belly up.

There was nothing magical about those numbers, but it really made me think, "Holy *kitten*!" What have I done to myself? To see myself in pictures was (and still is as I am just restarting MFP when I gained the 30 pounds I lost back after I was injured). I look at my pictures and see a fat person, someone I should have never became.

When my jeans became tight, shirts didn't fit, and I saw how I looked in pictures, I noticed I was setting a piss poor example for my kids. If I sat on the couch, so do they. If I exercise, so do they. My kids became my driving force as well as a bit of vanity (so my wife can have a better looking husband rather than what I became). I would like to put on a shirt and debate about if the style and color looks good on me, not does the shirt make me look less fat.

I volunteered at a Spartan Race back in 2014 as I was on the fence about running one. I met a couple of incredible people who told me their stories of being 300+ pound people. Both were thin, in good shape, and they were Spartans (AROO!). I realized, if they could make the journey, so could I!! So here I am!!
  • Cirque95
    Cirque95 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    There was one time I started a new job and had to wear a uniform. I ordered my usual size in trousers only to find out that they were way too tight. I then had to explain that they were too small to a number of people and order the next size up. I also had to wear my own trousers for the next few days whilst I waited for the bigger size to arrive which just made the whole situation worse.

It was when I realised that all of the clothes in my wardobe didn't fit anymore, that I decided that I had to do something about it.
  • onward1
    onward1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    When my fat clothes started to get too tight. And these were the fattest clothes I've ever had. I got on the scale and realized I weighed more than when I was pregnant years ago.
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I bought a new dress to wear to a friend's party. A guy had a go at me in front of people for drinking 'in my condition'. He thought I was pregnant. He wasn't even embarrassed when I said I wasn't actually pregnant at all. He just kept going on about it. Seriously, shut up dude! I would've left the party but I was staying the night there.
    Also, airplane seat belts that nearly don't fit - I'd rather not fly than have to ask for an extender.
  • Flyeaglesfly8630
    Flyeaglesfly8630 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Was at Bush gardens last summer and could barely fit on some of the roller coasters. I said oh he'll no and went head first back into fitness. Trying to get the body back from college haha we will see.
  • spamarie
    spamarie Posts: 2,825 Member
    Options
    kimothy38 wrote: »
    I bought a new dress to wear to a friend's party. A guy had a go at me in front of people for drinking 'in my condition'. He thought I was pregnant. He wasn't even embarrassed when I said I wasn't actually pregnant at all. He just kept going on about it. Seriously, shut up dude! I would've left the party but I was staying the night there.
    Also, airplane seat belts that nearly don't fit - I'd rather not fly than have to ask for an extender.

What a total lack of grace from that stranger. Even if you were pregnant, it's not for him to comment on what you choose to do. And it's just generally a bad move to assume such things about anyone, no matter what size. I'm glad you managed to make a positive change afterwards, but I hope he didn't make you feel too bad. Not worth getting upset by rude people.
  • MeadowRae
    MeadowRae Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    My SO (who is wonderful and supportive in every way, and always tells me I'm beautiful) bought me an item of clothing in a plus size. He was trying to be sweet, but I didn't realize I looked that big. I started exercising and dieting the next day.
  • KelGen02
    KelGen02 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I really didn't have a embarrassing moment that made me decide to make a change... I just decided one day back in November that it was time to get healthy & fit... My husband came home from the dr's with a script for cholesterol meds and just like that it was time to make a change. I started thinking about turning 48 in February, how our oldest is now 22 and how both my husbands parents and mine died at a young age and our three boys do not have Grandparents and I don't want that for my future Grandchildren. I want to be healthy and fit enough to run around with them, to want watch them grow, go to their games/recitals, watch them graduate, get married have children of their own. I went full blown "girl you aren't getting any younger, get your *kitten* together" :D It's been 131 days and we are still going strong, eating well exercising 6 times a week. I am going to be the hottest Grammy out there one day LOL
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    i broke a toilet seat and it pinched my butt
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I was never not embarrassed about myself. I thought I was fat since I was a kid. People telling me I was 'big boned' or 'stocky' instead of chubby hurt me even more, because it made me feel that they thought I was too fragile for the truth or too unintelligent to see through their lie.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    VeggieBev wrote: »
    I recently visited the nurse at my GP's surgery and it turns out it was an old school friend of mine. Things got really embarassing when she had to tell me that I was on the borderline weight-wise for the medication I was on and if I put on any weight within the next six months, she'd have to refuse me it and look at alternatives. Essentially being told I was "too fat" for my medication was one thing but having to be told by an old school friend was quite humiliating. I'm determined not to be anywhere near borderline by my next visit.

Don't feel bad... I went to planned parenthood when I was broken and had a gyno exam by someone I worked with. Awkward.
  • Findingmyself086
    Findingmyself086 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    When I gave birth to my baby, and she started crawling and I had to take tons of breaks to breathe after walking behine her
  • faramelee
    faramelee Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    A niece on my husbands side was pregnant and we were all at a party that my mum in law was hosting and a family friend asked if I was due to have my baby around the same time as my niece.....a small part of me died that day. But as trite as it sounds it's made me stronger. I've been in maintenance since August 2014 on a varied and nutritious diet (with chocolate and wine ;) ), workout 5/6 days a week and did my first 5k a week after my 41st birthday last October. :)
  • musacaptain
    musacaptain Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My tummy was so potruding that whenever I used to go it used to be ahead of me by several inches like an uninvited guest